Adding gelatine late in secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCH

Reaction score
Transferred my beer to a secondary late last night and at the last minute remembered my gelatin. Prepared the gelatin like BM suggested but ended up getting side-tracked by a TIVO'd Heroes episode and it boiled on me.

Anyway, didn't have the time to wait for the gelatin to bloom so I just transferred to the secondary anyway.

Question: Can I rig up a funnel with a short piece of tubing that extends just to the edge of the beer and then pour my prepared gelatin in???

I put gelatin into the secondary late all the time. Sometimes a week or two (hoping the beer will clear on it's own) after I rack. I just pour the gelatin into the top of the carboy. The gelatin is only dropping a few inches, so there is no splashing.

And then 48 hours later the beer is crystal clear.

I would move the carboy to racking height add the gelatin three days before racking out. That way when you go to rack out you don't disturb anything and the beer will be crystal clear. It isn't necessary for the gelatin to be in there longer.

Alright, folks, it's my turn for a question. When I've added gelatin to batches, I've always cold crashed afterwards. I have a beer, though, that I will not be able to cold crash this time, but I want to use gelatin in it. I'm not in a huge rush, but I have an AIPA in the primary that I want clear in about five weeks. Only about two weeks of it's future look to be below 55F, and those two weeks will be in the keg (and I don't like the gelatin in my keg - call me weird, if you like).

Does anyone have any tips on using gelatin at cellar temps or above (e.g., give it an extra day or so)? Thanks!

TL

I added gelatin to a heffeweizen in a attempt to make a kristal without filtering. I added it when I racked to secondary. Has been in there 8 days. Beer was crystal clear after 2 or 3. Just hope it bottle carbs ok!

does adding the gelatine won't interfere with bottle carbing? I plan to add it to the secondary and i'm afraid it will filter yeast. will it?

does adding the gelatine interfere with bottle carbing? I plan to add it to the secondary and i'm afraid it will filter yeast. will it?

No, gelatin won't interfere with bottle conditioning. The gelatin causes proteins and tannins to coagulate and drop out of suspension, not yeast.

If you want to remove yeast from suspension, isinglass and some other finings are pretty effective. Crash cooling is somewhat effective too.

Back