When to add chocolate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbkg

Reaction score
Hey there im in the process of steeping my toasted flaked oats and a variety of grain.

If i want to add dutch cocoa does it go in at the beginning of end of the boil?

THNKS

sweet thanks, got any more tips? 4oz. shouldn't be to over powering of a chocolate taste should it?

4 ounces will not be over powering. I've used 8 ounces for a choc stout and it was fine. One thing to keep in mind, cocoa is bitter. I usually use some lactose when using it to off set the bitterness a bit. Dutch cocoa is not quite as bitter as some but I thought I would just toss it out there.

4 ounces will not be over powering. I've used 8 ounces for a choc stout and it was fine. One thing to keep in mind, cocoa is bitter. I usually use some lactose when using it to off set the bitterness a bit. Dutch cocoa is not quite as bitter as some but I thought I would just toss it out there.

And when would you add the lactose for this brew? At bottling time? I've got a Holiday Spice in secondary now, where I used 8 oz of cocoa powder, and have been getting a little bitterness. I figure most will settle out with age, but maybe lactose would be a surer alternative.

Lactose is an add anytime ingredient because it non fermentable. You can add during the boil, in secondary, or at bottling. Boil it up with a couple cups of water, cool, and pour it in.

Back