Carroll County

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus00

Reaction score
Hey all, new to home brewing out of the Carroll County area. Pretty excited to jump in. Picked up some stuff from Midwest, Maryland Homebrew, and Amazon and hopefully making my first brew early Sunday before the ravens game!!!

Anyone who is not from CC and is ever in the area, Johanssons is a pretty cool place to check out on Main Street in westminster. They have their own brewery where they make a couple different beers, and have a good beer or two in my opinion. I love their IPA. Sometimes I believe they do brew sessions for the public which is pretty cool of them too. http://www.johanssonsdininghouse.com/brewery.asp

Im in Carroll too, there is a local home brew club in Finksburg. Dog Brewing Co is in Westminster, they are a production brewery for PubDog bar in Baltimore. There is also another farm brewery that grows there own hops in the Hampstead/Manchester area.

I am definitely interest in the finksburg brew club if you have more info. Does the farm sell their hops? Haha

I'm in Carroll county as well, but just got started last month. Have not checked out any of the places mentioned here yet, but hope to get some time.

I'm outside Taneytown. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm relatively new to brewing at three years but just joined midnight home brewers club. Nice folks.

Hello all. I'm up in Mt. Airy and have been looking more into water chemistry. The beer I've been making hasn't been bad, but I'm always looking at ways to improve.

I found the water report from the town, but it doesn't list all of the different ions that I have been reading about. Does anyone know of a local place to buy reverse osmosis (RO) water? I'd like to brew an IPA soon and everything I've read says that water chemistry is more important in that style to allow the hop flavors to come through. Absent finding a more complete water report or sending my water out for testing, I figure I'd try using RO water and building the water profile from there.

I've read other areas around the country have RO "filling stations" outside grocery stores or Walmarts, but I've not seen anything like that around here. If anyone has a complete water profile from Mt. Airy or knows where I can find RO water at a good price, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

I think Taneytown has RO outside the store to fill up. I'll check tomorrow to see if RO or filtered. You can fit a five gallon water jug in it.

It's outside the store. It looks like it will hold one of those five gallon water jugs from the water company's as well.

Awesome. Thanks. $0.30/gallon is even cheaper than I thought it might be. Where was it located?

Taneytown is a bit further away than I was thinking, but I may take a drive if I can combine it with a trip up to Westminster.

I come to mt airy a lot. If you want I can haul some for you. My mother in law lives there and watches my boys. So I do pick up a lot. I have a job on long corner tomorrow actually. So I'm passing thru.

Just pm me and we can work something out. Unless it's like fifty gallons 😉

I come to mt airy a lot. If you want I can haul some for you. My mother in law lives there and watches my boys. So I do pick up a lot. I have a job on long corner tomorrow actually. So I'm passing thru.
That would be awesome. I'll send you a PM. I'll be working at home, so hopefully we can work something out.

Just a note of gratitude to acarr160. He drove the 10 gallons down for me, which will be split between an IPA and a Sauvignon Blanc wine to be ready for the spring and summer.

Also from Carroll county. Johannsons does have some pretty good brews on tap. Also would be interested in the water report for Westminster city if anyone knows

Back