Newb Primary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrofit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Long time brewer, first time wine guy.

My father in law bought me a wine kit, he actually got me two.

The directions tell me to ferment a 6 gallon batch in an 8 gallon container.

I have a Sanke Keg (15.5 gallons) that I've converted to a fermenter.

Can I dump both those kits into the Sanke keg, or do I need that extra half gallon of space for fermentation?

My guess is I'm fine, but I don't want a mess on my hand or to explain to my Father-in-law that I'm as good a brewer as I say I am.

Any advice is appreciated.

I hadn't considered that. I was going to use an uncut Sanke that I use to ferment beer, but I could use my keggle instead (a cut sanke).

So wine needs that wide open top for oxygen to feed the yeast. Interesting Primary beer fermentation is typically done in a carboy (narrow top). I've got the keggle, so I could use that instead.

Ok, you got me reading. I had no idea how different the primary fermentation process is. What I'm going to do is use my keggle (open) and when primary is done, I will transfer to two 6 gallon carboys. I'm glad I asked! I would screwed up before I finished fermentation!

Retrofit said:
Ok, you got me reading. I had no idea how different the primary fermentation process is. What I'm going to do is use my keggle (open) and when primary is done, I will transfer to two 6 gallon carboys. I'm glad I asked! I would screwed up before I finished fermentation!

By open, we mean breathable. Cover your fermenter with a clean towel and secure with a rubber band or bungie cords. This keeps the dust, bugs, and kids out.

Retrofit said:
Got it, I'm glad I didn't jump into this with my brewer assumptions!

If you were to put on a lid with airlock, it probably would have been fine. Worst that could happen is the airlock would foam over or blow out.

Most of us use a towel or loose lid to make stirring more convenient.

You would have been fine, it may have taken a bit longer to primary or you would have a H2S smell or nothing would have happened. Seems wine is way more forgiving than beer.

I would guess that open-to-air primary is what most of us do.

Back