60 minute hop schedule, 90 minute boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDFlow

Reaction score
So, I recently moved and my new stove doesn't boil as well as my old one. I've been adding my hops in a 60 minute schedule but am now realizing I need to boil for at least 90 to get down to where I want to be. Did I just turn my 30 minute addition into a bittering addition?

Yes! It will be more bitter than you were expecting!

Think of your additions as from the end of the boil, not the beginning. So if you know you need to do a 90 minute boil, your 60 minute addition is no longer going to be at the very beginning, but 30 minutes into the boil!

007 is exactly right.

It sounds like it's time to move up to a propane burner if you can use one where you are.

I can. Was looking into one of those electric turkey fryers possibly. I've read about them on here and think it could be a good way for me to go. I hope this turns out well. Simcoe, Amarillo, cascade pale ale. I added extra finishing hops to hopefully balance the bitterness. Probably dry hop with some soda hi ace I've got leftover in the freezer. Looks like it might be an IPA now. I'm good with that.

I've never heard of electric turkey fryers but if it gets hot enough for frying a turkey, it will work.

If you go propane, check out the BTU rating.
I think the turkey fryer ones are about 40,000 BTU's and work well.
If you shop around you can find them a lot hotter pretty cheap.
Mines 188,000 BTU's.
The turkey fryer ones are fine, hotter is just faster getting to temperature but after you get there and turn the flame down they're the same.

JDFlow said:
Looks awesome but my apartment doesn't have a 220 outlet. I'm electrically ignorant. Does 240V mean you need a 220 outlet?

Hmm I'm not to sure what the laws on voltage output in the US is compared to our British system. Over here 3000 watts is the max on a 13 amp fuse. Sorry I can't help with that :(

Looks awesome but my apartment doesn't have a 220 outlet. I'm electrically ignorant. Does 240V mean you need a 220 outlet?

Across the pond they use 220V as a pretty much standard household supply voltage; in the US we use 110V. Not only would you not be able to power it, you wouldn't be able to even plug it in since they use way different plug designs than us.

Across the pond they use 220V as a pretty much standard household supply voltage; in the US we use 110V. Not only would you not be able to power it, you wouldn't be able to even plug it in since they use way different plug designs than us.

I know about the plugs. You can buy and international adapter kit from Radio Shack for like $5 to remedy that. The voltage is where I get lost. Considering they make these and there's a market for them I'm assuming you can use electronics rated 110V on a 220V system?

Also, there surely must be a company in the US building something of that kettles equivalent. Anyone seen one? I'm really interested because that thing has an internal thermostat which could make building an auto system loads cheaper than the whole REMS setup.

I know about the plugs. You can buy and international adapter kit from Radio Shack for like $5 to remedy that. The voltage is where I get lost. Considering they make these and there's a market for them I'm assuming you can use electronics rated 110V on a 220V system?

No sir you most certainly cannot. I am sure that an international adapter kit would work fine though, as it must convert voltage and plug style in order to work. Just make sure the adapter is rated for that high of wattage....

You need a step down transformer. It will convert plug type and voltage. Gotta watch for frequency though. Pretty sure the UK is 60hz over here its 50hz. That might overheat/burn the pot out.

Economical even for 3 gallons!!
2 gallon batchs would never be the same:ban:

Back