First whine ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hickabilly

Reaction score
Is the one with the green balloon ok? I know this is a bottom of the barrel recipe, but I'm just now getting into brewing and wanted to try something easy

image-2042460644.jpg

image-2921725157.jpg

image-3539415817.jpg

I would consider removing tha balloon and with a clean, sanitized scraper work the accumulated yeasty stuff that is up top into the solution and apply new balloon.

So, what are you making in those? And you are among the millions of beginners who just had to make jug balloon wine. I watched my oldest brother and Mom make this in the late 70s...and 30+ years later I made my first wine this way...once. Concord to be exact. I quickly found more gallon glass jugs and larger glass carboys and BetterBottles (or the equivalent). I will not hesitate to use a balloon for emergency airlock though. I would love to brew but alas I really am not a big beer drinker...I just think I have not discover THE one.

I'm making strawberry kiwi and mango hooch. I call it hooch because I don't believe it should be called whine

Hickabilly said:
I'm making strawberry kiwi and mango hooch. I call it hooch because I don't believe it should be called whine

When I was growing up hooch was made with 151, KoolAid powder( unsweetened because that was all there was), Hawaiian Punch fruit juice ( no powder back then), sugar, ice cubes, orange wedges, maraschino cherries, pineapple, and strawberries. We made it in huge flip top Coleman coolers.

But Hickabilly my vote is...if you used wine yeast to make it then call it wine. If you used bread yeast, it is still wine albeit yeasty stuff. Could always call it 'hooch style wine'. I take it this is high octane perhaps? Strawberry kiwi mango is a nice blend! If you make it again, try adding pineapple or pineapple juice, it takes it up a few more rungs on the hooch ladder.

I used bread yeast, I just wanted to make something. I'm gonna look around today and find some brewing parts. I'm a maintenance tech and we have lots of stainless laying around!

Do NOT use something from the maintenance yard. You really need a clean, food grade container. Glass carboys will work for your "hooch" or you can get food grade plastic buckets. Unless you unpack something from a box that came straight from the manufacturer and you KNOW it has never been used, stick with stuff you can get from your local brew store or online.

looks fine to me thats how i started with 2 liter soda bottles many moons ago also used bread yeast in the beginning, some was drinkable some not some drank way to soon

Back