Bottleing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnheather125

Reaction score
Left some bottles to soak in oxy-clean overnight now the bottles are covered with a white film. Any suggestions on the best way to remove this film. Uggggg I really hat Bottleing

This happened to me once. I used really hot water with this batch and ended up with a white film on the bottles. An acid will remove the film. I happened to have a 5 gallon bucket of Starsan handy. Dunked my bottles in Starsan and the film was removed pretty quickly.

And I enjoy bottling!

You don't need to let your bottles soak. 5 mins is more than enough contact time with a oxygen cleanser (i use one-step). the white film is probably only going to come off with scrubbing, but you can use a new sponge or a clean rag, then go to sanitizing.

also, make sure your mixture is right, and make sure you are using warm water. hot water will make a bad film, cold water will be hard to mix into solution.

I did use hot water and I do have a little hard water in the area I live in I will try letting them soak in some more hot water and the. Dunk in my easy clean no rinse sanitizer. I normally don't leave them over night this is the first time I have ran into this problem

This build up will come off very easily after a quick soak in nearly any weak acid solution -- white vinegar and water will let you quickly wipe the reside off with a sponge after a short soak. A quick hit with the bottle brush or a pressurized bottle rinser will take care of the inside.

That sounds like a good idea. My next step was to put in the keggle and boil for 20 min or so I have been scrubbing bottles for the past hour to no avail. Most are coming clean but there are several that are not I think I will soak all in vinegar and water. I use a Rubbermaid tub. It is about 15 gal. What do you think about a cup of vinegar?

Back