Test Batch Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbob

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've spent the morning doing some research, watching Houston get theirs ass's kicked, and drinking a great beer. I've been trying to find some info on brewing small batches, because I'm interested in experimenting with some different techniques and flavors and still have a control. So my plan is (rather than spend tons of money on growlers) get some 1 gallon apple juice jugs and use them as my primary/secondary "carboys". I'd like to hear what you folks have tried or if you have tried this. Specifically though, if I buy a 5 gallons worth of malt/yeast would it simply be dividing everything by 5 to spilt it up into 5 separate brews, or is it a bit more complicated than that. Also do you have any suggestions for pitching yeast on this scale when using White Labs yeast? Any thoughts/experience/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jimbob

I bought my apple juice for Apfelwin in the 1 gallon glass jugs....perfect for carboys. I use them for small batches of mead and wine. A number 8 stopper works fine for me.

I have one gallon glass jugs (3) as well as three gallon glass Carboys (2) Both sizes are very handy for small batches.

Excellent...thanks guys..

What are your thoughts on the recipe? Can I just divide it by the number of batches that I plan on making? Also Yeast...how would I divide that up? Or would I need yeast cultures for each batch?

Latest posts

Back