Funky Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YankeesIT

Reaction score
I have brewed 2 beers now, a summer ale and a Belgium white. In both cases there is a funky taste to the beer that is not to strong just weird. I think i have narrowed it down to either being the water i used (tap water) or something with the bottles. If anyone could help me out that would be great. Thanks

-Brett

Is it the same taste in both beers? What yeast did you use, and what temperature did you ferment at? How long did you ferment, and how long did you bottle condition? What sanitizer are you using?

Welcome to the hobby!

Yes same taste
-I can not remember what yeasts, but they were different
-fermented at about 70 degrees for 3 weeks, 2 weeks in bottles
-Starsan

I'm certainly no expert, but I've been fighting off-flavors, too. So far, keeping the fermentation temps down in the mid-60s have produced the best beers I've made. I used a swamp cooler for the last two I made (back in August so it was hot, placed the fermenter in a rubbermaid bin filled with water and rotated in 3 frozen water bottles twice a day). Those beers didn't have the same weird flavor that all of my previous batches had. I'd suggest trying that next time.

it's a mineral/metallic type flavor? could the strains of yeast been english? 70 degrees ambient temp means you may have fermented in the mid 70s, which is quite high. 70 is a bit high even. some british yeasts kick a minerally/metallic flavor, could be enhanced by warm ferment temps.
also, 2 weeks in bottle is still pretty young, could be a green beer thing.

yea it is kind of a mineral flavor i guess, what would be the best way to keep my glass carboy at a good fermenting temp in Florida?

Back