When to add the Baker's chocolate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidcr80

Reaction score
I am brewing a Chocolate Whiskey Stout. A hodge-podge of Papazian's Goat Scrotum Porter and his Armenian Imperial Stout...with the addition of whiskey soaked oak chips.

I am planning to add about 6-8 oz of whiskey to a couple oz's of chips in secondary but still trying to learn when to add the unsweetened chocolate bar to it....in the boil..how long, or in fermentation...? any suggestions?

I would add the chocolate during the boil, for about the last 5 to 10 minutes of the boil. I did this for a chili-chocolate stout. You want it in there long enough to get mixed thoroughly. Make sure to break that bar up good. I would suggest using cocoa powder or cocoa nibs instead, if you want a more earthy and truer chocolate note.

Nibs are cocoa beans with the shell removed, used in some cooking. Really raw chocolate. I would support the cocoa powder though as is it more readily available.

I used cocoa powder for my double chocolate stout. I believe I added it @ 5 minutes. It came out good.

Back