Let's Talk Rotary Tools...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
I gotta say, I have used several rotary tools over the years, and especially with all these homebrewing projects!

I got a DREMEL 7700 but it required charging and would run out of juice in the middle of all my projects! So I had to recharge and wait to start back up again....very frustrating.

Then, I got a $10 ROTARY TOOL FROM HARBOR FREIGHT and I gotta say, I've put it through its paces, and it's still clicking along! Really not a bad buy for a beater tool! It's corded, so I remedied the problem with running out of juice, but this thing was seriously underpowered for cutting SS and other metals.

BUT....I just got a BLACK AND DECKER RTX for $30 at target and it is a BEAST!!! It made the previous units look like toys, and that was on the low setting! It takes everything I throw at it and the motor doesn't even change pitch! Sure, you could buy a top of the line corded Dremel for $70 that would do the same thing....but if you're looking for an affordable, awesome tool...this is it! It has a much easier collet release, which is really nice, plus the fit and finish feel like a much more expensive brand.

My first Dremel was cordless and I remember always having to charge it in the middle of projects. I have a 10 year old corded Craftsman that works ok but isn't performing like it used to. I may have to check out this Black and Decker.

what kind of projects do you use your rotary tool for?

I have used my dremel just for clean-up around holes on buckets and kettles.

Today I was using it to cut through a bar of 1/4" SS. I have tried to cut perforated SS with it for a hopback; took forever. I used it extensively on my toolbox controller. Woodworking projects, etc. I use it any time I need a precision cut....on SS my other dremels have been worthless, but this thing works like a mini angle grinder....like butta baby! :ban:

Do you know of the tool of which I speak?? :tank::mug:

Nope....google search reveals a pressure washer...which I'm sure you're not referring to. I have nothing else to reference; I have been eying this every time we go to Target and I break off to look at the stuff I want to look at....

I have one of those Black and Decker RTXs, and used it mostly to trim my dogs toenails, with the occasional "real" use. I previously had a battery powered Dremel that was not up to the task for more than one dog. The Black and Decker did okay for a while, but its bearings seemed to go after not all that many hours of use. The motor still runs, but it has annoying vibration now. I now have a corded Dremel 1001, which is scary fast on the dogs toenails, and seems to be holding up better. It has worked well on odd jobs as well. We'll see how it holds up. Thus far, it looks like you get what you pay for.

I know dog toenails are not exactly a brewing use, but what use do you expect from a guy whose "handle" is ThreedogsNE!

LOL after reading the OP!

I've had that B&D for over 10 years now, and my sentiments exactly. I love it!
Just remember that the more variety of discs/accessories, the better.
Do you have an air compressor and a die grinder? Or at least tried one out?

Yup...got an air compressor because I "needed it" (at least that's what I told SWMBO ;) )....knowing that a some point I'd do a few projects with a framing nailer, etc. I've seen some pretty nice impact wrenches and die grinders, etc. made by Kobalt.....my only thing is A)The noise (I often work on stuff when the kids are sleeping) and B) Having to fuss with the compressor.

I might get a pneumatic multitool set one of these days.....I've seen some awesome woodcarving done with a die grinder.

About the black and decker, I could totally be talking out of my a$$...but there's just something immediately recognizable about a tool when you feel the fit, finish, weight, and turn it on and actually use it. Sure, it could crap out in a few months, but it seems pretty good so far, especially for $30. FWIW, I have some of the "PowerStorm" tools they put out some years ago....I've done a LOT of stuff with those tools....about the only thing failing are the batteries....which is to be expected. Honestly, I think I'm gonna slowly replace all my tools with corded units. They're cheaper, WAY more powerful (my 12A drill almost broke my wrist), and let's face it....for general use, when do you not have 120V available?

I have burned through a cheaper dremel from about 12 years ago, and one super cheapo that was my dads. I finally, did the right thing and got a Dremel 4000 series. It straight kicks ass.

Corded is the only way to go IMO.

I got my first Dremel for Christmas this year, its the slightly smaller Dremel 300 model. It's probably not quite the beast that the Dremel 4000, but honestly I don't know how I went so long without it as part of my tool arsenal.

And ditto on the corded sentiment, sure the cord can be a little bit of a pain sometimes but there really isn't anything worse than running out of juice in the middle of a project. Even worse is when the tool tortures you slowly as it runs out of power!

Add a Dremel 150 piece "All-Purpose Accessory Kit to expand the useage of your Dremel 4000 or what model you already have.
The Dremel 395 was top dog years ago, I ported heads and intakes with a couple, returned a few while under warranty. Beat the snot out of them until they failed. Got wise and purchased a Milwaukee 1/4" die grinder this is a tool that eats metal. My business paid it off within a week.

well timed read as my old b&d rotary just bit the dust last week. It was old, not sure of the model, but came in a plastic case with the flexible attachment thingamajig.

These have never let me down with many hundreds of hours hard use, head porting mostly with a Powerstat.
At 20 years old with less plastic for stones and rotary files, manly tools vs the 4000 Dremel for light work; http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/...grinders/die-grinders/11-amp-die-grinder/5196

I absolutely agree with you BrewBeemer.

Milwaukee is king when it comes to power tools.

That die grinder you are referring to is a "real" beast. I've used that grinder for years working as a pipe welder.

For these guys I would recommend
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/...grinders/die-grinders/45-amp-die-grinder/5194
It is much smaller with all the power one would ever need for brewing projects.
You can grab a used one off ebay for not much than that B&D crap.
Plus your grandchildren will still be using it after your long gone.

Back