Pump logistics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I'm going to be building a stand soon, and haven't decided if I want to do three-tier gravity fed, or two-tier with a pump.

I'm leaning towards getting the pump because I'd like to be able to recirculate my mash and use a whirlpool chiller, but I've never used a pump so I'm unfamiliar with some of the finer details.

-Will it be annoying to switch the lines around with each step of brewing?
-I've seen how the lines connect to the pump, but how do they connect to a ball valve on a kettle? And what do I have on the end of the outlet line when it's transferring from MLT to BK?

This may end up getting edited b/c I've never tried to add a link to a post.

This thread, stainless-steel-quick-disconnects talks about and gives the part number for McMaster Carr quick disconnects. All valves, pump inlet and pump outlet have the same QD and all tubing has the mating piece on both ends. I actually have one tube with only one end I use to connect to the boil kettle and use gravity to flow into my carboy once I've chilled.

Fixed it.

I'm going to be building a stand soon, and haven't decided if I want to do three-tier gravity fed, or two-tier with a pump.

I'm leaning towards getting the pump because I'd like to be able to recirculate my mash and use a whirlpool chiller, but I've never used a pump so I'm unfamiliar with some of the finer details.

-Will it be annoying to switch the lines around with each step of brewing?
-I've seen how the lines connect to the pump, but how do they connect to a ball valve on a kettle? And what do I have on the end of the outlet line when it's transferring from MLT to BK?

In February I built a three-tier gravity system. I have enjoyed it (went from one burner and a cooler MLT and a single Pot, to three burners, three pots).

That said, I just ordered a pump and a bunch of Polysulfone disconnects to convert to a direct-fired RIMS. I plan to chop down my three tier and change it to a two-tier....after 4 months :eek:

If I did it again, I'd have just ordered the pump and did it two-tier to begin with.

Back