Wiessbier & Vit beer in kegs vs bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends.

What do you reckon? Which of these are suitable for bottle and which for cornelius keg, and why?

1. Hoegarden type Belgian Wit Bier,
2. Weisenbock and
3. Weissbier

Cheers :mug:

Marius

I am thinking about the yeast that collects at the bottom of these beers that usually should be present in say hefe-weizen. In a keg, this yeast would go straight away because the cornelius keg drains from the bottom?

Please, any answers would be great!

Marius

Hope no one minds, but I was wondering the same thing as I've just started kegging and my next beer is going to be a Weissbier.

Sorry about the resurrection...

Not all Weissbiers or Weizens are hefeweizens, with the added yeast.

I think you could do a weiss or dunkelweizen just fine kegged. It'll taste different than if it were served hefeweizen, but it will not be inappropriate to the style.

On the other hand, a wit without the yeast just doesn't seem right to me, though again there are bottled examples -- Sam Adams White beer has not yeast on the bottom the way most witbeers do.

Weissbier has got to be one of, if not my favorite beer. I like them out of the tap and in the bottle (I was introduced to the beer in Bavaria, so I've always swirled the yeast and added it to the glass).

I'm interested more in the the flavor differences of homebrewed bottled wheats to kegged ones.

I've done a bottle conditioned one before and I am thinking about kegging this one, but if people have had better experiences with bottles than I'll just brew something else for the keg.

You know what I mean?

I've kegged 2 wheat beers thus far, one wit and one hefeweizen. I never noticed any clearing in my beer but then again it was only there for about a week and a half (they were both really good). I wouldn't worry about it too much, wheat beer yeast usually have pretty low flocculation.

Weissbier has got to be one of, if not my favorite beer. I like them out of the tap and in the bottle (I was introduced to the beer in Bavaria, so I've always swirled the yeast and added it to the glass).

Kristal weizen/weissbiers (which have no suspended yeast) are authentically Bavarian, too.

If you are looking for the cloudy look I have seen a few suggestions on adding 1 tablespoon of regular flour to the beer, not sure how much this settles out.

I keg both Hefe's and Wit's I think the longest I've had them on tap is 2 maybe 3 weeks. I did notice them both settle out a little bit you could tell more in flavor than look, you know the taste like a hoe-garden:cross: that you didn't swirl to get that yeast in the glass. I had a Wit fall out totally the yeast was wyeast forbidden fruit. it was weird about half way thru the keg I started pulling glasses of milky sludge. Pulled about two of those grabbed the keg gave her a shake let it sit for a day and back to normal. Now I just give my keg a gentle swirl every couple of days to keg every thing suspended. but with regard to the question they should both be bottled but I'm too lazy and too thirsty for all that

+1 to that, if you are really worried about it clearing just add a tablespoon or two of flour at 10 min, it will stay hazy that way. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much though I had a wit on tap for a couple of months last year and while clearer towards the end it was still hazy.

If you are looking for the cloudy look I have seen a few suggestions on adding 1 tablespoon of regular flour to the beer, not sure how much this settles out.

While this seems like a fine solution for appearance, adding flour isn't going to do anything to replicate the flavor of suspended yeast in the beer. If capturing the flavor is the goal, I'd skip the flour.

While this seems like a fine solution for appearance, adding flour isn't going to do anything to replicate the flavor of suspended yeast in the beer. If capturing the flavor is the goal, I'd skip the flour.

I'm with you.

A low-flocculating strain should work fine in a kegged beer. It's not going to all settle to the bottom, just as it wouldn't in a bottle.

I kegged a wit last year. It does settle out over time, but since the area around the dip tube stays clear, you're ok. Just don't shake the keg up when you're close to the end, or it comes out as glop. I had to turn the pressure up to 30 PSI just to clear the tube/hose. Keep shaking it every couple days and it'll stay mostly suspended the whole time without problems.

I agree, its more about the flavor for me than the appearance...

Back