2nd bad batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
Crap, my prized munich dunkel brown sugar boosted dryhopped ale was bottled too early.

grolsch bottles now open with tremendous force, flinging ceramic top across room. beer comes out as solid foam.

it had bubbled away for 2 weeks in secondary, never really slowing down it's bubbling. FG 1.015

I finally figured "screw it" and bottled. it was awesome for anout 5 weeks. now the bottletops are flying.

&^$%$#@#$%^&!~!!!!!!!

What makes me mad is that I also bottled my AAPA after 2-3 weeks in secondary , and is was still bubbling too, and had exactly the same FG as the Munich Dunkel that I just poured down the drain (1.015). I couldn't leave it in the secondary any longer as it was massively dryhopped, and samples were already smelling grassy.

ricken fricken schmacken racken ^%$#$%^&*^%$#@11!!!!!!!!!

:sigh:

good think I am maikng another AG munich dunkel as an ale tomorrrow.

it also solves my bottle shortage problem.

:fro:

PS oh and yes, I have been sampling a few homebrews. in case anyone wants to lodge complaint about spelling or grammar: eat poop.

Two batches.... how painful it must be!!!

What do you dry hop with? Freeze dried or fresh hops? I wonder if you are adding some contamination with the dry hopping. I usually use freeze dried hops in the primary. I add the hops when the wort is still hot. They get a few minutes of hot soaking with the burner off, then I tranfer to the primary.

I have also read you can steam your hops like one would do veggies like broccoli or cauliflower. Just a few minutes of steam, then add to the secondary. I think this applies to fresh hops though

Try them just in the primary. Let the beer ferment out in your secondary as long as needed.

Also consider replacing any of your racking hose.

Good Luck! :mug:

Was the beer still actively fermenting in primary when you racked it secondary? Really you should not have any real airlock activity in secondary unless you are doing a true secondary fermentation where you're adding fermentable sugars to the secondary.

If the beer was actively fermenting when you went to secondary, you need to wait longer before racking to secondary.

Definitely do not bottle while there is active fermentation happening.

If you have to get it out of secondary (because you want to get it out from the dry hopping), you could always use a glass carboy again and do a tertiary. That would assure you that fermentation is over and they'll be no more bottle bombs.

Lorena

That's a good idea, rack to another carboy. Get the beer off the hops after two weeks.

Also switching to a "S" style bubble lock is good on carboys over the conventional medicine bottle stye air lock. The "S" style will allow you to see more bubbling activity, especially as the fermentation slows. It has a double air trap.

I am sure it was not contamintation, just bottling too early.

I bought another carboy, so now I won't be tempted to bottle too early for want of another secondary.

i dryhop by "dissolving" hop pelets in a wee bit of boiling water and add it to the secondary.

I have a hop bag that I will try using as well sometime.

Back