Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale Clone Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPBurdell

Reaction score
Anyone have a good clone recipe for Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale? It's made the Atlanta microbrewery, Sweetwater Brewery.

I'll see if I can find anything, they're almost local. If it helps, on a visit to the brewery, I found out they are huge fans of Simcoe.

They do not list their malt/hops anymore. They used to have this on their website:
Malts: 2 Row, Munich, Carastan 30-37

Hops: Centenial, Cascade

Might have changed. I am pretty sure Simcoe is in their now. I know there is another person on this forum that might know everything.

Oh yes, I do.

Check my Recipes.

If you don't drink it right away and let it sit in the fridge for a couple months its spot on.

Thanks guys.

I had this in the Atlanta airport a few days ago...it was a really nice beer.

I need to clone it. I'm guessing English yeast though. Anyone know Sweetwater's strain?

Dude said:
Thanks guys.

I had this in the Atlanta airport a few days ago...it was a really nice beer.

I need to clone it. I'm guessing English yeast though. Anyone know Sweetwater's strain?

I believe it is a proprietary strain they bank through Wyeast. I think it is very similar to the 1056 though.

Mutilated1, I see yours is all-grain. Anybody have an extract version of this? (I'm sure no extract version will get close to the real thing though)

Beerrific said:
I believe it is a proprietary strain they bank through Wyeast. I think it is very similar to the 1056 though.

Have you read this somewhere?

I'm just curious, because I think the beer is more malty than a typical pale ale--and putting 2 and 2 together with the proposed malt bill, I guessed a maltier English yeast.

I dunno though though...thanks for the info.

Dude said:
Have you read this somewhere?

I'm just curious, because I think the beer is more malty than a typical pale ale--and putting 2 and 2 together with the proposed malt bill, I guessed a maltier English yeast.

I dunno though though...thanks for the info.

I think I read that somewhere, but I can't seem to find the source ATM. I will let you know if I remeber where I read it.

WillPall said:
Mutilated1, I see yours is all-grain. Anybody have an extract version of this? (I'm sure no extract version will get close to the real thing though)

Well to tell the truth I didn't create the All Grain recipe, I started with an extract recipe that I got from Alabrew in Birmingham, and I just converted it to All Grain. Its basically the exact same I just tweaked the amounts a couple of time till it tasted more like what I buy at the store. Sweetwater 420 is one of my personal favorites, I've brewed it 6-7 times by now and its damn close to what you get at the store, but better.

I've still got the recipe sheet somewhere, I will look for it and post their extract recipe its pretty good.

Local watering hole hooked me up with one of these last night. I still haven't tried the clone, but I sure do like the commercial beer.....

420.jpg

420, IPA, Georgia Brown and Low RYEder IPA all use Wyeast 1968 Fullers ESB. Brewer mentioned it yesterday at AHA rally.

you'll need to at least use specialty grains listed in mutilated1's recipe but everything else has an extract version typically. maybe 3-3.5 lbs pils dme, and a 1lb or so light dme/lme and 1lb or so munich dme/lme

Back