Suck back..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casesensative

Reaction score
Any tips on cold crashing? I use a three piece airlock and it seems like im getting atleast a little bit of suckback...is there anyway to coldcrash without getting any suckback or is it pretty much unavoidable?

I used to have the same issue... Now I use an S-type airlock for cold crashing. I don't fill it up to the fill line, maybe half that... And I haven't had any problems since I started doing that.

It's worth the couple bucks to your LHBS

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 solid stopper for me. Learned that the hard way when I cold crashed with blowoff hose still in bucket of starsan. Ended up with a layer of starsan on top of the cold beer. I've also had suck back from both types of air locks. Solid stopper has solved it for me. My 2 cents.

Just use a solid stopper, The S-shaped airlocks will allow air into the fermenter, I would rather keep it sealed with a stopper/bung

When you eventually remove the solid stopper pressure equalizes and it sucks in a bunch of air anyways. What's the difference?

Just use an S airlock and leave it there. The exact same amount of air is going to get in whether it seeps in slowly or all at once when you eventually remove the stopper(PV=nRT). Only thing you do with a stopper is introduce the risk of fermenter collapse.

When you eventually remove the solid stopper pressure equalizes and it sucks in a bunch of air anyways. What's the difference?

Just use an S airlock and leave it there. The exact same amount of air is going to get in whether it seeps in slowly or all at once when you eventually remove the stopper(PV=nRT). Only thing you do with a stopper is introduce the risk of fermenter collapse.

Yup.

I've also seen pictures and videos of the solid stoppers getting sucked into a carboy on occasion. I'm sure it's rare, but in the event that it does happen, good luck getting that thing out!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I read another thread where a solid stopper caused a Better Bottle to buckle. I have never cold crashed but if I did I would use an s type airlock.

Whatever you do, ditch the 3 piece airlocks. Those things are garbage.

Oh, is that so?
When I expected a suck back situation I minimized the water in the 3 piece airlock so it wouldn't be able to pull the water clear up to the center post top. You don't have to fill them to the fill line.

I remove the airlock from the stopper, and loosely wrap a piece of sanitized aluminum foil over stopper. Never had a problem.

Oh, is that so?
When I expected a suck back situation I minimized the water in the 3 piece airlock so it wouldn't be able to pull the water clear up to the center post top. You don't have to fill them to the fill line.

That's well and good until the liquid level gets too low to seal, which happens in no time with these. What benefit do these have over the S type? Ease of cleaning, maybe?

I remove the airlock from the stopper, and loosely wrap a piece of sanitized aluminum foil over stopper. Never had a problem.

Yup, that's what I do and it works great. Not sure why this isn't standard practice?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

That's well and good until the liquid level gets too low to seal, which happens in no time with these. What benefit do these have over the S type? Ease of cleaning, maybe?

Suck back only occurs while the beer is cooling. Once it has reached the final temperature you can add liquid to the 3 piece airlock so it won't go dry. In my house it takes weeks for enough to evaporate that that would be a problem. The benefit they have over the "S" type for me is that I have multiple 3 piece airlocks on hand and the LHBS is a 30 minute drive away to get an "S" type and they may not have them in stock when I get there.

No matter what air is going to get sucked into the fermentor. I use S locks as I figure that way any bugs have to go through a maze of starsan to get in. Never had a problem and I crash most of my beers.

I like the S airlocks for cold crashing and lagering. Yes the air still gets in, but short of putting it into a keg I don't see any good alternatives.

Suck back only occurs while the beer is cooling. Once it has reached the final temperature you can add liquid to the 3 piece airlock so it won't go dry. In my house it takes weeks for enough to evaporate that that would be a problem. The benefit they have over the "S" type for me is that I have multiple 3 piece airlocks on hand and the LHBS is a 30 minute drive away to get an "S" type and they may not have them in stock when I get there.

Fair enough. I had way too many unpleasant surprises using them. Since I switched over completely to S type, I've not had a problem in years. But if they work for you, that's what matters most.

Back