Copper discount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourdon

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone wanted to go in on 100' of copper tubing with me. I can get it through McMaster-Carr. It costs $295 for 100'. So if I can get three other people to toss in $74 we can all get 25' of tubing. Copper is so f*cking expensive. :eek:

What size is that? I was looking through some thread here last week and someone had found a place that sells copper very reasonably. It was like 50' of 3/8 for less than $40. I can't seem to find it now.

let me know what you guys are looking for. My brother is a copper tubing importer. He sells rigid tube, but I can likely get a deal on coils of soft too.

I was looking for copper to build a counterflow chiller and I found a good price at Ace Hardware.

Lowe's had it for something like $77 for 20 feet or something ridiculous. Ace had 20 feet for $25. You can find it on their web site. I got mine at the local Ace. I wanted 25 feet but the precut package only came in 10 or 20. The guy said he could cut me 25 feet from a big roll in the back but that was almost $3 a foot! He said it was the same copper but he didn't know why it was so much more expensive.

There is also 25 feet of copper on eBay for about $25 (search for copper tubing) including shipping. But it says it is .020 wall thickness, compared to the .030 that you usually find. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not.

Just thought I'd let you all know what I found in my recent search for copper.

Oh, and that's for 3/8 OD soft copper.

Or you could go through your neighborhood and steal some out of all the AC units.

I got 20 ft of 3/8" from Home Depot for $25 and change. 50 ft was around $45 or so. It surprising though the difference in price between HD and Lowes with how competitive they are with one another.

QTY
SIZE
3/8
LENGTH
50 Feet
UNIT PRICE
$ 33.55
from the site i posted before better price per foot if you get the 100 ft roll
I posted a thread about splitting a roll with someone to make two cheaper chillers...untill my car died a little.

I guess you can get a better price elsewhere. Next time I'll do a little more research. Thanks guys.

bbourdon said:
I guess you can get a better price elsewhere. Next time I'll do a little more research. Thanks guys.
If your still interested in a split PM we might be able to work something out.

Has anyone tried contacting an HVAC company to ask for scraped AC units? Maybe this would be worth a try? I have no idea how much tubing is in one of those, or what diameter tubing.

Any AC guys out there who could answer these questions?

There's plenty of copper in AC units but it's not exactly easy to get out because there are all kinds of cooling fins pressure fit or soldered to the copper. It's good for scrap is all.

i went to home depot and got copper for super cheap a couple weeks ago got like 25' of 1/2 inch for $45 or so.

Back