If this was the hop inventory in your fridge what would you make next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CityOChampBrew

Reaction score
Read the subject, read the list from my screen capture and give me some crazy ideas, Go...

Capture.GIF

A simple IPA with amarillo/simcoe hops. I love that combo, more than anything else.

95% two-row
5% victory malt
OG of 1.065-1.070

Bitter to 40 IBUs with the 60 minute hops (warrior or magnum or other neutral hops), and then:
1 oz simcoe 20 minutes
1 oz amarillo 15 minutes
1 oz simcoe 10 minutes
1 oz amarillo 5 minutes
.5 oz simcoe 0 minutes
1 oz amarillo 0 minutes
dryhop .5 oz simcoe 1 oz amarillo 5-7 days

Pretty much any style I want with that list.

I would probably brew a quick IPA to start then brew an imperial stout to age.

these are all good ideas... safe and done before...

Looking for some lunacy

"Lunacy"? Or drinkable? Could be a big difference.

You've got noble hops, great American hops, and more. If you want to mix them go ahead. There may be a very good reason that some of the suggestions have been "done before"- because they are awesome and not a muddled mess.

Nugget for bitter, amarillo and Simcoe at 20, cascade at 0 and citra dry hop, possibly throw some crushed grain in there and maybe a little yeast.

"Lunacy"? Or drinkable? Could be a big difference.

You've got noble hops, great American hops, and more. If you want to mix them go ahead. There may be a very good reason that some of the suggestions have been "done before"- because they are awesome and not a muddled mess.
I'm greedy so I want both.

What would I make next?

A sizable donation to a fellow brewer, such as yours truly :)

j/k

Agree with the rest a IPA sounds good or a PA. I guess with the summer coming up I would go for a PA or something lighter to fit the bill for a hot summer day.

I'm not too versed on different hop varieties, and would love to have a taste of all those different hops for my own experience.

Too bad that you don't have so much straight clean bittering hops like Magnum, Galena or Warrior. If you did I'd say make about 100 gallons of a relatively neutral 1.040 - 1.050 SMaSH pale ale, balancing the malt with those clean bittering hops, ferment it out with a clean ale yeast, then split into about 100 1-gallon secondaries with different dryhop, singly and in combination, using everything on that list. Invite everyone on HBT for assistance on the brew and bottling days, and then invite them back for the *epic* tasting party three weeks later.

This probably isn't lunacy enough for you, but it is what I would do.

Didn't end up going crazy with my brew just did a 10 Gal extract with 1 oz simcoe bittering @ 60 and then @ 15, 10, and 5 I threw in 1oz of each Amarillo, simcoe, and citra

now just need to decide if I wanna waste hops dry hopping.... will decide once it's done fermenting

Something crazy will still need to be done though LoL

Why would it be a waste to dry hop?

I'd probably do a series of single-hop brews. Not crazy, but you could make them all IIPA's if you're trying to use them up...

Why would it be a waste to dry hop?

I say wasting due to past experience with the style I just brewed. Dryhopping won't add much to the beer depending on how much was blown off aroma-wise thru fermentation. In rather say the hops for the next brew.

Enlighten me on a recipe for these beers. Never had em; never heard of em.

(3 floydes) Gumball head clone is a American wheat bear with tons of Amarillo hops and fermented with cal ale yeast, it's pretty refreshing. The reds rye is a clone of Founders rye, pretty much a nice rye pale ale with Amarillo hops to off set the spicy rye.

They are both nice refreshing beers that use strait Amarillo hops.

Gumballhead,

6 lbs. - Wheat Malt
5 lbs. - 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Caravienne Malt

Hop Schedule (27 IBU)
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - First Wort Hop
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - 15 min.
1.25 oz. - Amarillo - 5 min.
1 oz. - Amarillo - 1 min.
1.5 oz. - Amarillo - Dry Hop

Yeast
White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 68° to 70°

Extract would be 6lbs wheat LME and 1 LBS golden DME steap 1 lbs caravienna or c-20(I have made both multiple times)

Back