American Amber Ale Red Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cweston said:
This was my first rye beer--it's an adaptation of my Columbus APA with more/darker crystal and flaked+malted rye. I just tasted the first one last night--it's going to be a winner. It's a deep copper color with a spicy/complex flavor--the malty components really come through with the IBUs a little lower than a typical PA.

Grain:
7 lb. American 2-row
1 lb. American Munich
8 oz. American crystal 120L
4 oz. Belgian CaraMunich
2 oz. Belgian Special B
1.5 lb. Flaked rye
1 lb. Rye malt

Mash: 74% efficiency
mash 60 minutes at 152

1 tsp irish moss at 15 min.

Hops:
.5 oz. Columbus (13% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (13% AA, 20 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (13% AA, 10 min.)
.5 oz. Columbus (13% AA, 2 min.)

Yeast: Nottingham

I just made it over easter break and bottled it on friday! I tasted it while bottling. It tasted great. i can't wait to drink it cold next month.
My sp g was 1.035 and ended up at 1.010! Seemed a little light but full of Esters!

Brewed this 6 weeks ago and just tapped

wow!

this is my 75th all grain and one of the best. Exactly what I am looking for, a Rye Pale Ale. Not an enamel stripping Rye IPA

Had a b#tch of a time running this off, ran low on rice hulls.

I used Denny's 1450 on this and man is it perfect. Malty, Bitter, Depth

Kudos on a one of the better recipes I've brewed off this site.

I'd post a pic but my glass is never full

NochEineMassBitte said:
Just bottled 5 gallons of this today, and man, the hydro sample was awesome! Can't wait to try a carbed bottle in a few weeks. Thanks, OP, for the great recipe!

I just opened a bottle 2weeks after priming! Definately of the best!
Great recipe!

SouthtownsBrewing2011 said:
I just opened a bottle 2weeks after priming! Definately of the best!
Great recipe!

Tell me about it. I just had a 3 month old batch after 2.5 weeks of force carbing at 12 PSI @38 degrees... really really good beer!

america said:
Tell me about it. I just had a 3 month old batch after 2.5 weeks of force carbing at 12 PSI @38 degrees... really really good beer!

I just had beer club and my rye ale was awesome! Definitely will make this again!

This beer is fantastic. The only thing I can add to the conversation is another picture of the final product. I brewed this on May 5th and follow the OP's recipe exactly.

IFmwM.jpg

I'm brewing this today. The recipe looks great as-is, but I ended up making the following changes:

1) I substituted the Columbus 20-minute and 10-minute hop additions for Cascades. My experience with Columbus hops is that they are more assertive in non-IPAs than I would like. I still want some assertiveness to counteract the spiceness of the rye, but I worry is that all those Columbus hops will be overpowering.

2) I'm using Denny's 1450 as my yeast, which I've had good experience with in the past. It tends to highlight the malt more than 1056 IMO.

Looking forward to this as my primary fall beer. Thanks OP!

Would this be a good beer to brew as I have only brewed 2 AG batch's ... Or will it be ok to let this one make its way onto my list..??

ucbedge said:
I'm brewing this today. The recipe looks great as-is, but I ended up making the following changes:

1) I substituted the Columbus 20-minute and 10-minute hop additions for Cascades. My experience with Columbus hops is that they are more assertive in non-IPAs than I would like. I still want some assertiveness to counteract the spiceness of the rye, but I worry is that all those Columbus hops will be overpowering.

2) I'm using Denny's 1450 as my yeast, which I've had good experience with in the past. It tends to highlight the malt more than 1056 IMO.

Looking forward to this as my primary fall beer. Thanks OP!

Let me know how it comes out. When i made it with columbus it was excellent. The only problem i have with cascade is that when you fish with it sometimes you get a weird soapy aftertaste. That tends to turn a lot of people off. But the what the heck it is beer!
STBrewing

I will definitely let you know how it turns out....

I did make one other change, and that was to reduce the IBUs to the 34-36 range. This may have been a mistake....I tasted the wort before putting it in the fermenter and it tasted a little sweeter than I would have liked. We'll see....

It's been in the fermenter for 6 days now and it's SLOWLY chugging along. Denny's 1450 certainly is a slow worker. I'm actually worried that I got some bum yeast since the yeast packet I got from my LBHS was a little swollen.

Let me know how it comes out. When i made it with columbus it was excellent. The only problem i have with cascade is that when you fish with it sometimes you get a weird soapy aftertaste. That tends to turn a lot of people off. But the what the heck it is beer!
STBrewing

What %AA Columbus & Cascade hops did you use to get 36 IBU?

I have 18% AA Columbus available and not doing the 20 minute addition and keeping the rest the same gets the IBU close to about 40. Considering brewing this next.

Here were my hop additions. I know that IBU calculations are notoriously fickle, but this is what got me to 34 IBUs.

Columbus 14% 0.5 ounces - 60 mins
Cascade 5.5% 0.5 ounces - 20 mins
Cascade 5.5% .25 ounces - 10 mins
Columbus 14% .25 ounces - 0 mins

It's been in the fermenter for 10 days now with the Denny's yeast. Took a sample and had a gravity of 1.012 (vs an expected FG of 1.013). This is surprising - my OG was on-point and I thought that fermentation was going more slowly than normal. I'm leaving it in the fermenter for at least 7 more days. Will let you know what FG I end up at.

I was worried that the wort wasnt hoppy enough. Well I just tasted my sample and I think it's turning out more balanced than I expected. It's very green with lots of yeast in suspension but still pretty good. I noticed that the rye flavor didnt come through as much as I thought it would. Hopefully it becomes more pronounced as the beer mellows.

What %AA Columbus & Cascade hops did you use to get 36 IBU?

I have 18% AA Columbus available and not doing the 20 minute addition and keeping the rest the same gets the IBU close to about 40. Considering brewing this next.

I absolutely love rye beers. Looking to brew my first all grain batch this winter. This recipe might be just the one I have been looking for.

ucbedge said:
Here were my hop additions. I know that IBU calculations are notoriously fickle, but this is what got me to 34 IBUs.

Columbus 14% 0.5 ounces - 60 mins
Cascade 5.5% 0.5 ounces - 20 mins
Cascade 5.5% .25 ounces - 10 mins
Columbus 14% .25 ounces - 0 mins

It's been in the fermenter for 10 days now with the Denny's yeast. Took a sample and had a gravity of 1.012 (vs an expected FG of 1.013). This is surprising - my OG was on-point and I thought that fermentation was going more slowly than normal. I'm leaving it in the fermenter for at least 7 more days. Will let you know what FG I end up at.

I was worried that the wort wasnt hoppy enough. Well I just tasted my sample and I think it's turning out more balanced than I expected. It's very green with lots of yeast in suspension but still pretty good. I noticed that the rye flavor didnt come through as much as I thought it would. Hopefully it becomes more pronounced as the beer mellows.

Are you dry hopping the last columbus in the fermentor?
I really would love to know how it comes out. I just had a couple of bottles which i bottled about 3 months ago from the original recipe and they are so smooth. I would love to try your variation and taste them next to the bottles i already have left!

Hello All,

Just wanted to thank you for the spectacular recipe. This has been my most favorite beer I have done thus far (4th AG batch, and 5th overall). I am already considering in brewing another batch of this very soon.

2012-07-24%2022.15.08.jpg

Thanks again for the wonderful brew!

This is finally ready, and it tastes awesome. It's a perfect balance between earthy rye flavor and hop bite. Very very nice! Thanks for the recipe, OP!

+1 for this recipe

I'm brewing this right now. Pre-boil gravity was 1.046, so right on schedule so far according to brewsmith.

I'm looking forward to this one. I haven't brewed for a few months, and am really enjoying the day. Drinking some ffarg as I enjoy the sound of the burner.

Who has dry hopped? I did not and it came out fantastic! I was wondering if you have and how it came out. Also, on another note i am looking to acquire some amarillo gold and some simcoe but no one has any. If you know who has some let me know the website so i can order!
Happy halloween brewing!

Question regarding this recipe. A few pages back there is a partial mash adjustment that uses extract. I'm not setup to do AG, so I'm wondering; is partial mash the same in this circumstance as extract and specialty grains? Can I steep the grain in a grain bag and then proceed as normal for an extract recipe? I've been looking for a rye ipa recipe for some time, and the reviews on this thread are encouraging.

I kegged and bottled the batch I made on 10/27. OG was 1.056 and it finished at 1.011. 5.87% ABV and the uncarbed sample tasted AWESOME!

Question regarding this recipe. A few pages back there is a partial mash adjustment that uses extract. I'm not setup to do AG, so I'm wondering; is partial mash the same in this circumstance as extract and specialty grains? Can I steep the grain in a grain bag and then proceed as normal for an extract recipe? I've been looking for a rye ipa recipe for some time, and the reviews on this thread are encouraging.

Partial mash is adding some base malt to the specialty grains, and mashing at controlled temps for 'x' amount of time. Then getting the rest of the fermentables from extract.

I did this as a PM (only ~1# DME though) before I was set up to do 5 gal AG batches and it turned out very good. I sub'd some base malt with Munton's extra light DME.

Hydro sample tastes promising. Gonna crash for a few days and then keg. Excited to taste the finished product!

Just drank my first one from a partial mash batch, it was pretty great! Going to try this with a Belgian yeast. Thanks OP.

This recipe was one of my first all grain (BIAB) batches, and it is/was (almost kicked :mug:) delicious! I'm a huge fan of rye in general, so I was going to bump up the rye in my next batch to get even more rye flavor, but (in researching the idea) I recently read that in rye bread it's actually the caraway seeds that impart much of that characteristic "rye" flavor. That surprised me - apparently that's common knowledge. I guess that's just more proof that I'm an uncommon guy :D.

Now I just have to decide how I want to add the caraway seeds, crush them into a potion, or crush and boil them. Suggestions welcome!

I'm also flirting with substituting some of the 2-row for some wheat malt - just for fun

I noticed while looking at the actual website that the OP listed this as a 6 gallon batch. It didn't show up on the iPhone app. For those that brewed this per recipe, did you go with 6 gallons pre or post boil? I've got a 7.5 gallon kettle and I don't think I could pull off getting 6 gallons post boil without either topping off or having a major boil over. I'd rather not top off or adjust the grain bill. I'm hoping OP meant boil 6 gallons.

snyklez said:
I noticed while looking at the actual website that the OP listed this as a 6 gallon batch. It didn't show up on the iPhone app. For those that brewed this per recipe, did you go with 6 gallons pre or post boil? I've got a 7.5 gallon kettle and I don't think I could pull off getting 6 gallons post boil without either topping off or having a major boil over. I'd rather not top off or adjust the grain bill. I'm hoping OP meant boil 6 gallons.

6 gal post-boil. You could scale the recipe down, or buy a bigger kettle. I've recommended to anyone who has asked me to go with a 10+ gal kettle. Even if you don't do gigantic beers, having that much headroom is nice :)

Looks like a very solid recipe. Gonna brew this one very soon, I love spicy Rye beers, but haven't got around to brewing one yet. Scaling it up to 9 gallons on the website I use.

Had a couple questions for some of you that have brewed this one...

Has anyone used a yeast other than Notty (I saw one of Denny's yeasts back a few pages)? I have thought about WLP002 (1st choice), maybe 001, and after some research WLP041 (which I haven't used yet). Don't have access to Wyeast at my LHBS, only Danstar, Ferm, and White Labs.

I was also thinking about using a fair amount of Cara-red or Melanoidin (neither of which I have used) to give it the beautiful reddish hue that I have only read about. Plan to possibly use 12-16oz in a 9 gallon batch. Is that enough to make a difference (in color) or should I use more? Also have read that the CR is similar to Crystal malt (20L) in flavor, if I use this should I scale back a touch on the C120 (not that C20 and C120 are similar in flavor)?? Will the melanoidin make it too malty??

Looks like a very solid recipe. Gonna brew this one very soon, I love spicy Rye beers, but haven't got around to brewing one yet. Scaling it up to 9 gallons on the website I use.

Had a couple questions for some of you that have brewed this one...

Has anyone used a yeast other than Notty (I saw one of Denny's yeasts back a few pages)? I have thought about WLP002 (1st choice), maybe 001, and after some research WLP041 (which I haven't used yet). Don't have access to Wyeast at my LHBS, only Danstar, Ferm, and White Labs.

I was also thinking about using a fair amount of Cara-red or Melanoidin (neither of which I have used) to give it the beautiful reddish hue that I have only read about. Plan to possibly use 12-16oz in a 9 gallon batch. Is that enough to make a difference (in color) or should I use more? Also have read that the CR is similar to Crystal malt (20L) in flavor, if I use this should I scale back a touch on the C120 (not that C20 and C120 are similar in flavor)?? Will the melanoidin make it too malty??

I brewed this one and used Nottingham yeast from danstar and it was perrrrfect!

I just brewed this and pitched on some cleaned WY1968 from an ESB. I particularly chose this yeast to see if I can get that gorgeous red hue without sitting on it for months. It's by far the best flocculating yeast I've ever used. I figure it will work pretty well.

I brewed this last fall with Wyeast 1272. It was a big hit at the office Christmas party. I plan to brew it again in a few months.

Based on the comments here, I am going to add this to this summer's list. Anyone have any water profile info that worked really well for them on this recipe?

Back