Irish Red / US-05 / Maris Otter violent fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjash

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has had a similar experience with US-05 and Maris Otter. Brewed an Irish Red last week, basically following Jamil's recipe from BCS. 11.25 lbs. of Maris Otter, 6 oz. each of roasted barley, crystal 40 and crystal 120. Came out high on my OG (1.064), so I pitched 2 packs of US-05 because I hadn't made a starter.

It was fermenting well within 8 hours, and by the end of day 2, I came home to find an airlock full of wort and krausen! Swapped out a blow-off tube, and it continued pretty violently for the next couple of days. It has settled down now (day 6), but I'm wondering if that's common for Maris Otter, or US-05? I don't know why, but I pictured and nice quiet, slow rolling fermentation and was surprised to get what looked more like what you see with wheat beers.

Violent fermentation is usually temperature related rather than specific ingredients. What were your actual wort temps during fermentation. Be warned, just cause the wort is fermenting in a 70 degree room, actual wort temp can be higher due to the yeasts hard work and sweat.

Combined w/ 2 packs of dry yeast, and high temps, a volcano is possible.

Mr malty shows 1.1 packs of dry yeast FWIW, could be part of your issue.
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Thanks wilserbrewer (I actually used one of your BIABags for this one!). I was lazy and didn't check any yeast calcs. Just took an OG reading, and went with "1+" packs of what I had on hand. Temps are under control and at 68 or less. I'm using a swamp cooler, wet t-shirt, and swapping out ice bottles 2x a day. My fermometer strip has been reading 64-68, and every time I change the ice bottles, I stir the swamp cooler and take a reading with my Thermapen; never over 68. Water in my swamp cooler is filled up to about 3/4 the height of the wort in the fermenter.

Sounds like I just overpitched and the little fellas are happy in there. Nothing exploded - just some sticky wort bubbling out the top of my airlock. Just curious if others have seen the same with this blend of malt and yeast.

Back