Coopers Tweak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonPritchard

Reaction score
Howdy folks. I was sent a complimentary coopers lager kit and figured that since it was free I'd do a little experimenting. The coopers kit comes with a "brew enhancer" which is dextrose and malodextrin. I accidentally forgot to add this. I added 1lb of honey malt, a 1/3lb of carmel 60L, and half a cup of brown sugar for the last 10 minutes of the boil. Will my neglect of this brew enhancer effect my final product negatively?

It may come out about the same ABV-wise. But more than .5lb of honey malt will likely gwet floraly. The brown subar will add a tiny hair to the color,but little in the way of flavor. The caramel60L will add a nice lil sumpin sumpin though.
What I think is good for the Cooper's OS lager can is a 3lb bag of palin Munton's light DMe,& some English hops. You gwt about 5.3%,& it comes out golden,like a light English pale ale. I use it in other recuipes too,so check mine out for ideas using the OS lager can.

I added 1lb of honey malt, a 1/3lb of carmel 60L, and half a cup of brown sugar for the last 10 minutes of the boil.

I hope I'm reading this wrong and you didn't boil the honey malt. You'll extract the hars astringent flavors from the husks that way. :cross:

As for the "brew enhancer" it's just some corn sugar (dextrose) to bump the ABV (but thins the body) and maltodextrin to enhance the body (in an attempt to counteract the effects of the dextrose.) You can totally just boil that stuff in a bit of water, cool it in an ice bath and add it to the primary-if you so desire. The beer will be just fine without it too. It's your call.

No I didn't boil the grains haha. That'd make for a pretty awful brew, I'm guessing. I should have worded that differently. I guess we shall see how it comes out come kegging time. Speaking of which, my supplies come today. I'm so happy to not have to bottle anymore.

sounds like the stuff you added was much better then then the enhancer.. only thing your genna miss from the enhancer is a lil ABV boost and maybe some head retention from the malto

Back