AHS Jack o Lantern and Pumkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steinsato

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got AHS' newsletter today and see they have some kits for a Jack O' Lantern Porter and a Pumpkin Ale, but if you read through the limited recipe list, they both list Pumplkin (not included) What's up with that?

Also, I've always been under the impression that right now would be too late to start a pumpkin beer. Am I wrong?

Well according to all the retailers that started selling the stuff weeks ago you would be..

I personally like to enjoy pumpkin ales between October and November.. specifically following an enjoyable Thanksgiving dinner.

I will be brewing my first attempt at a pumpkin ale soon and Im thinking about giving one of the AHS recipes a shot. They haven't let me down yet..

Brew on!

...they both list Pumplkin (not included) What's up with that?

That means you have to buy your own pumpkin to use for the recipe. Canned, fresh, whatever you feel like doing.

The website says this, in fact: "The optional pumpkin is not provided with the recipe. It must be purchased separately.

Pumpkin preparation: cut enough small pumpkins into 1 inch cubes to yield 3 - 4 lb. Place the pumpkin on a cooking pan and cook in the oven at 350 F for 30 min or until softened. If pumpkin in unavailable, 3 - 4 lb of canned pumpkin (non-spiced) may be used instead. The pumpkin is added with the grains during mashing. "

I just ordered grain for my pumpkin porter/ale partigyle yesterday. It should be ready to enjoy by end of October which I think is perfect for fall holidays. Commercial breweries seem to put seasonal stuff out a bit prematurely but I'm sure are just capitalizing on their market research to keep sales up.

AHS isn't going to send a pumpkin in the box. Or canned pumpkin for that matter. Not a big deal! Just buy a few cans of pumpkin, and bake it (optional), then toss it in the mash (or boil or secondary depending on your choice). As far as timing... There's still maybe 2 weeks of brewing time for a respectable ABV pumpkin brew if your trying to stick with the "seasonal norm"....

For those of you using fresh pumpkin, I would ask your local farmer/market for a Blue Hubbard. Blue Hubbard is actually a type of squash (as are all pumpkins) that tends to be less stringy and have a better flavor. Outside is a greenish blue while the inside is a bright orange. I worked at a pick your own orchard for years and this is what we suggested to the pie makers.

I will be brewing my first pumpkin beer here shortly.. hopefully.

hubbard squash.jpg

I just got AHS' newsletter today and see they have some kits for a Jack O' Lantern Porter and a Pumpkin Ale, but if you read through the limited recipe list, they both list Pumplkin (not included) What's up with that?
whats up is AHS has flat rate shipping.
Canned vegetables are heavy and available cheaply at every grocery store.
Also, I've always been under the impression that right now would be too late to start a pumpkin beer. Am I wrong?

you could do one still.

@steinsato
I'm curious to try this beer but want to make a small batch.
Did your instruction sheet list the amount of grains, hops, and candi sugar?

I would be grateful if you could share that info.
Thanks!

Back