Extract Hef recipe wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I have a few beers that will be ready for the proposed November beer swap. I want to try and have on more ready. I figure I could do a Hef. I want something quick and simple, yet tasty. Does anybody have a good extract recipe for a Hef?

I hit up a couple recipe sites, as well as ours, but I just wanted to try one more source (you guys) before I send my order into AHS!

Thanks everybody! This could potentially be one of yours in the swap! :D

For a simple hefe I just threw 6lbs of wheat DME into I *think* 2 g's of water. I used 1oz hallertau for 60 minutes and 1 oz tettnanger at 15 I think. Hefe's are really simple from what I've been reading around. Granted you could probably spice it up a bit but this should turn out decent.

I don't know if it is actually a Heffe but it was a recipe I found and it is now bottle conditioning

3lbs Light DME
3lbs Wheat DME
2 oz Munich Malt Steeped at 155 for 45min in 1 gallon water

.75 oz Hallertau 60 min
.5 oz Sazz for 15 min

WLP300 Hefe Ale Yeast
O.G. 1.052

Hope it helps!!

George

This hefe is awesome. From DeFalco's website:

6 lbs. wheat malt extract
1/2 lb. wheat malt grain
1/2 lb. six-row pale malt
1/4 lb. cara-pils malt
1 oz. Hallertauer hops (bittering 60 minutes of boil))
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
1 vial WLP300 White Labs Hefeweizen Yeast)
OG 1.044, FG 1.010 = 4.5%v/v

Steep grains at 155 for 40min. 1-stage fermentation for 14 days at 74˚F. 11 days in bottle. fantastic fruity nose, and long-lasting head. tastes a little sour early on, then melds. Nose goes away after a while too...IMO, a really, really good german hefe.

Really simple and easy from "clone brews" Paulener Hefewiezen but I substituted weheinstephen wheat yeast and I added a pound of corn sugar and got a 1.054 OG. ABV is 5.5 which is about what its supposed to be.

4 oz. Munich malt
6# wheat DME
1oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker 3%AA
Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat (I used the above and its really good)

I think its hard to go wrong with a hefe.

BTW How did your Brown Ale turn out? I'm getting ready to do the "Nukey Brown Ale" from Northern Brewer.

Good Luck
Al

I've modded many HWs, but normally boil 1.5 gals water with 1 lb extra light DME and 3%AA Hallertau hops for 45 mins. Remove from heat then add 5 lbs Wheat DME and steep for 15 mins. Pour into primary with filtered tap water and top off to 5.25 gals. I use WLP351 Bavarian Weizen yeast. ;)

Easiest recipe in the universe:

6 lbs Wheat DME
1 ounce hallertau
boil for 60 minutes
cool and add WLP300
ferment at under 70

bam! great hefe...not to say it's the best but it's easy as hell ;)

EDIT: oh yeah, don't forget the blow-off tube ;)

Deathbrewer recipe is awesome. I used it (actually the credit goes to cheesefood) and it was great. no need to get all into what grains for the flavors. The flavor comes form the yeast. I heart WLP300.

hb_99 and DeathBrewer have nailed it IMO. 6# of wheat DME is the way to go, and is already ~50/50 wheat to barley which is perfect. You can add hops after the initial bittering charge if you like the profile, but I wouldn't for an authentic German Hefeweizen.

DB's recipe is the same as morebeer's; I'm about to keg mine, and I have to say that it's mighty tasty!

I took a few things from a few I'd looked up and ended up with this. It was damn good and really easy. I may have to go have one right about now. I have about a 6pack left.

2 gallon boil.
6# DME (Bavarian Wheat)
1 # Malted Wheat Grain (steeped 30 min @ 155 degrees)
.75 Hallertauer (60 min)
.25 Hallertauer (5 min) l
Zest of one large lemon (5 min).

I went with the Wyeast 1010 (American Wheat) smackpack.

Easiest recipe in the universe:

6 lbs Wheat DME
1 ounce hallertau
boil for 60 minutes
cool and add WLP300
ferment at under 70

bam! great hefe...not to say it's the best but it's easy as hell ;)

EDIT: oh yeah, don't forget the blow-off tube ;)

How long would you advise to ferment?

How long would you recommend fermenting? And I assume it is only in primary because we want it foggy.

How long would you recommend fermenting? And I assume it is only in primary because we want it foggy.

Check out this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bee-cave-brewery-bavarian-hefeweizen-35679/

I did one recently where I steeped carahell, came out excellent. Some people also steep dextrine malt. But really you dont need any specialty grains at all.

What I found important is the manufacturer of the malt extract. I have had good success with Breiss. Make sure its at least 50% wheat. Some wheat extracts are only less than half wheat.

Also, although a lot of people say a 30minute or later hop addition is not necessary, I have enjoyed the recipes that call for them much better. Comes out a little more balanced.

There are some good recipies here in this thread.

My feedback is DONT use any malt extract other than wheat and pilsen. Using regular malts even in small quantities will not produce the same beer style. Second I prefer the weihenstephaner yeast as I find it finishes cleaner and is easy driking for even the non beer lover.

My prefered easy drinking hefe is;

wyeast weihenstephaner
4.2lbs bavarian wheat DME
2.2lbs of bavarian pilsen DME
1oz Hallertauer (60 min)
Steeped wheat, what ever your preferred amount and duration.

There are some good recipies here in this thread.

My feedback is DONT use any malt extract other than wheat and pilsen. Using regular malts even in small quantities will not produce the same beer style. Second I prefer the weihenstephaner yeast as I find it finishes cleaner and is easy driking for even the non beer lover.

My prefered easy drinking hefe is;

wyeast weihenstephaner
4.2lbs bavarian wheat DME
2.2lbs of bavarian pilsen DME
1oz Hallertauer (60 min)
Steeped wheat, what ever your preferred amount and duration.

What brand extract do you use? Is the wheat DME all wheat? Most wheat extract is already 40%+ pilsner or 2 row. If that is the case I would just use the wheat DME as a hefeweizen is traditionally greater than 50% wheat malt.

5lbs Wheat DME
1lb Carapils
1oz Tettnang @ 60 min
1oz Clementine or orange zest
6 Clementines (or 4 oranges) cut into chunks and added to fermenter after 10 days)
Wyeast 3638

This is one of my favorite recipes. It makes a fantastic hefe.

clementina_photo.jpg

What brand extract do you use? Is the wheat DME all wheat? Most wheat extract is already 40%+ pilsner or 2 row. If that is the case I would just use the wheat DME as a hefeweizen is traditionally greater than 50% wheat malt.

I use Briess malts. The wheat is 65% wheat, 35% base malt IIRC.

Honestly you cant go wrong with 100% wheat or with the pilsen mix IMO.

Back