Fermenting / conditioning temps in fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Read that bottle conditioning in a small fridge with a temp controller at 75F will reduce time to carbonate a beer. What has been your experience?

Just set up a small fridge with temp controller. This will be the first time using it. Am making an Imperial IPA 8.3 ABV and then a Russian Imperial Stout 9.9 ABV. Plan to ferment at 68F for 3 weeks, bottle and condition in the fridge at 75F. Typically have been conditioning for 4 weeks at room temp but wondering how long to carbonate in a controlled environment at 75F. Thinking around 2 weeks.

Anyone here condition in a fridge at 75F? What improvement did you see?

Never heard of bottle conditioning at 75. I use a freezer with temp controller for fermenting in and would probably recommend a little cooler than 68. I usually set me freezer temp contoller at the low end of the yeast temp range ..... Usually 62-64.

As for bottle conditioning storage I have found that the cooler the bottles are stored the longer they seem to keep and the better they taste - long term.

As far as to what conditioning them at 75 for two weeks would do I cant say. But I have never had problem with them carbonating in my basement 58-68 depending on the season

The room I ferment in is generally between 57-61 degrees. Once bottled I move the cases up to a different room that hovers around 70. The bottles are carbonated in about 7-10 days and the taste is generally great but really start to improve balance around 2-4 weeks. Once carbonated, I move the cases back to the colder room for storage. Carbonation and conditioning IMHO are different.

Read in a book called something like "beer questions answered" I think they used carbonating and conditioning interchangeably, the process taking about 2 weeks. Ageing is when the beer mellows and may take several weeks to several months.

The book said many commercial breweries who bottle condition their ales do so at 75F because it only takes 1 week instead of 2 to carbonate, allowing the beer to be sold much quicker.

Commercial breweries do what is best for a profit. I just want to do what is the best for the beer.

Would like to hear from anyone who carbonates / conditions their ales at a controlled temp, what that temp is and what your results have been.

Back