Pear tree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jthiatt80

Reaction score
Does anyone use pears and juice them with a juicer? What is your solution to the bug spots, too ripe, not ripe? I have a seckel pear tree?

I have juiced pears using a cider press. I find it better to juice them while the flesh is still firm, before it gets soft. You don't need to worry about spots and blemishes, you won't taste them. Remove any rotten flesh.

i juice them with a juicer, but soft pears like conference turn to mush when ripe, and are flavorless when still firm. firm pears juice extremely well in a juicer; those round d'anjou ones are pretty good and here i juice the rock hard gieser wildeman variety (a stewing pear) very successfully. i am not familiar with your variety but give it a try!

gregbathurst said:
I have juiced pears using a cider press. I find it better to juice them while the flesh is still firm, before it gets soft. You don't need to worry about spots and blemishes, you won't taste them. Remove any rotten flesh.

Thanks!!!

dinnerstick said:
i juice them with a juicer, but soft pears like conference turn to mush when ripe, and are flavorless when still firm. firm pears juice extremely well in a juicer; those round d'anjou ones are pretty good and here i juice the rock hard gieser wildeman variety (a stewing pear) very successfully. i am not familiar with your variety but give it a try!

Thanks! My pears are probably the smallest pears in the pear family! They are about three inches in height and 2 1/2 inches in diameter. I have about 200 lbs. Of them off of one tree!!!

Pears are an unusual fruit in that they ripen before they soften. They can be fully ripe while still firm, but taste a lot better when they get soft. I have milled and pressed firm pears and got an sg of 1.055. Proper perry pears are allowed to soften, to allow the tannin to develop, but you won't see many of those trees around unless you are in the UK.

Back