Beer Law: "While Brewing, Drink Beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
So, I was watching Dirty Jobs a few weeks ago and Mike Rowe and the crew was at Coastal Extreme Brewing Co. They mentioned the unwritten law that while someone brews beer they must drink beer. They mentioned what the law was called, but I can't find it anywhere.
Does anyone know what this "law" is called? And no, it isn't RDWHAHB

It's just one of those "unwritten" laws that make the brew day less nerve wracking. Since the beer partially wrecks your nerves,lol.:drunk:

I've found myself almost eliminating drinking while brewing. Far to often i ended up socializing and not paying attention.

I could be wrong but I believe the official law is titled: "Those who brew should sip a brew while brewing or be at the risk of angering the beer Gods and be cursed for the rest of their brew days by making bad beer and never making a good beer again for the next 3 generations of brewers in their family." But dont quote me. :mug:

^^^Not only this,but Odin will Zap you with a lightening bolt straight out of Valhalla & laugh at you for all the world to see & hear! So Don't anger the beer gods!

Sternworth Privilege...I am answering my own question. A guy at probrewer.com knew the answer.

But yes, all that was mentioned before was good posts as well.

I saw that episode too. It was the something privilege. Can't remember the name.

...hmmm. I heard em say it during the show - something like 'Stern worth principal'.

Stern Worth sounds like some historical figure or something but after much searching I got the impression that it's just an old English turn-of-phrase. As in, "...if your ass if worth a damn, then we'll give you some beer. Principally."

Stern = rear of ship, austere, etc
Worth = value.
Principal = a main participant in a situation. First, highest, or foremost in importance.

Confused? I sure the hell am. :drunk:

- M

I saw some program about the history of Milwaukee - they said something like how, in the olde days, the average brewery employee would drink a gallon of beer a day while on the job.

Personally I never drink while brewing. It probably has something to do with the fact that I get out of bed and immediately start drawing my water and getting set up.

um, if it's an "unwritten law", then it doesn't have a name. right?

i almost never drink while brewing. after, most definitely.

My rule is generally to keep a clear head while dealing with large quantities of skin-searing hot liquid. Clean-up? That's another story... :D

So, I was watching Dirty Jobs a few weeks ago and Mike Rowe and the crew was at Coastal Extreme Brewing Co. They mentioned the unwritten law that while someone brews beer they must drink beer. They mentioned what the law was called, but I can't find it anywhere.
Does anyone know what this "law" is called? And no, it isn't RDWHAHB

It is popularly known as "The Law of 180 Out Of Phase From Rico's Law." I watched that episode of Dirty Jobs, and I have got the full brewery tour at Coastal Extreme, and partaken of their excellent beer. And, no, I don't drink while brewing, not until the beer is in the fermenter and everything cleaned up and put away. When I'm messing around with propane fires, boiling liquids and the hazards appertaining thereto, plus keeping track of things and hitting all my marks = no drinking, except H2O. Not no how, not no way. I get plenty of suds at other times.

As the Duke is famous for saying, "-others may do as they please."

We always try to drink whatever style we're brewing. Last weekend I did a Dussledorf style alt. I couldn't quite stomach the cost of a Uerige Sticke ($4.50 for 11 oz bottle), but fortunately was able to find a local micro that makes an alt (Tyranea's "Headless Man") to fill in.

I guess I usually break the law too. I brew early, and prefer to wait till I pitch the yeast before I get sideways.

yes, this is my norm. i like to finish around 1-2 in the afternoon latest, so I'm still drinking coffee for most of my brew session.

We normally drink while brewing, but I find that we really drink very slowly and don't even get the slightest buzz going. But when we sit down once the brewing is complete, that's a different story.

We obeyed this law last night while brewing... I brought some of my previous batches to partake of... On the menu was the Boddington clone as well as Dirty Old Man... My brew-buddy's wife loved the title of DOM... :D

We started drinking as our mashes were going, and we were bottling... A very productive evening to be certain. Since we took our time drinking, due to other activities, I didn't even feel the effects of the alcohol in the brews.

Looks like we'll be doing brew/bottle days/evenings moving forward... Makes for a busy session, for certain, but it's very productive. :D

A hot scotchy after the mash is mandatory, so drinking is the rule. I usually get things set up in the AM. I start mashing in usually at noon, and enjoy lunch and a brew then.

And, no, I don't drink while brewing, not until the beer is in the fermenter and everything cleaned up and put away. When I'm messing around with propane fires, boiling liquids and the hazards appertaining thereto, plus keeping track of things and hitting all my marks = no drinking, except H2O. Not no how, not no way. I get plenty of suds at other times.

As the Duke is famous for saying, "-others may do as they please."
This is my approach, as well. The few times I've brewed and drank together, I usually forget somethig, despite my brewday checklist. It was always something minor, but still.

I usually wait until I get my boil going before I start tipping 'em back. Even then, I don't tip back more than a pint during the entire process (two if I'm thirsty!)

The only exception was when a buddy came over and we started brewing at 9:30am and had a coffee oatmeal stout.

I typically enjoy a beer or two throughout the brew process. No need for heavy drinking while brewing though.

I'm actually mildly allergic to alcohol. Apparently I'm missing some enzyme or something that breaks it down. So unless I drink <10% ABV drinks along with food, I get flush faced and don't feel so great. Ticks me off, because I'm Irish-American and should be able to drink everyone else under the table.

So brew day beer will have to wait until dinner. :(

ETA: I do brew a mean glass of sweet, iced tea, though. So that's a must.

I'm actually mildly allergic to alcohol. Apparently I'm missing some enzyme or something that breaks it down. So unless I drink <10% ABV drinks along with food, I get flush faced and don't feel so great. Ticks me off, because I'm Irish-American and should be able to drink everyone else under the table.

So brew day beer will have to wait until dinner. :(

ETA: I do brew a mean glass of sweet, iced tea, though. So that's a must.

<10% ABV shouldn't be difficult... How about snacks along with the brew? Sounds like your stomach needs some help in getting the process started.

Yeah I feel obligated to drink a homebrew while brewing! One or two does not hamper my ability to make good beer :tank:

Yeah I feel obligated to drink a homebrew while brewing! One or two does not hamper my ability to make good beer :tank:

I make it a point to not drink anything over ~8% while brewing. After the yeast is in, then it's all fair game... After a couple/few >8% brews (pints) I'm usually pretty wrecked. Hell, I had a pretty good buzz from about 3-4oz of my 12.5% wee heavy... Plus another 3-4oz of my 8.9% old ale... :drunk:

I don't drink when I brew. Alcohol gets me distracted, care free, and loose. That's exactly why I drink alcohol, and exactly why I don't drink when I'm brewing.

Having a couple gets me in the right frame of mind for brewing. Sometimes that turns into more than a couple... I've never made a big error or hurt myself though. The worst I've done is drop a strainer into my bucket and forget to aerate. Everything turned out just fine in both cases. YMMV.

I start out sober but end up drunk. Last night was no different and the only thing I forgot was to put sanitizer in my air lock. At least I remembered to put it in this time. A few times I forgot to even put the airlock in the fermenter and it sat that way for 3 weeks.

First few batches only a couple... last few brew sessions too many, I could hear my shoes sticking to the floor the entire nite!!:drunk:

Every dang time I brew. Takes beer to make beer. I do not pour or transfer hot liquid while holding a beer (wouldn't want it to make my beer warm). If you come over and I'm brewing you sure as shooting better tip one back too. I'm not having the beer God frown on me for your disobedience. I often brew in the morning, but I also work graveyards, so my morning is everyone else's night.

I'm friends with a brewmaster and I can always tell when he's brewing because hell check in on Untappd at the brewery but they will never be their own brews.

Back