Finally got to try Pliny the Elder...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
So I found the liqueur that caries it around here and bought a bottle.

First thoughts: very tasty, but I'm not sure if I like it as much as Blind Pig. It's really good, and different, but I think BP has a spicier hop flavor. PtE has a little more of a malty balance.

I think I need to do a side by side tasting next! :drunk:

Now you're making me thirsty.

Pliny1.jpg

You can get fresh Pliny on tap at the Stone Bistro, if you cannot find it anywhere else in San Diego. Although I think you should be able to find it at Toronado, too. I have no idea where they sell it in bottles down there.

Also as a side note to other west coasters, Pliny the Younger will be released this Friday and should be making its way down the coast in the subsequent week.

3 month old bottled Pliny is past its prime. I would never want to drink it at 6 months old. I'm sure that clone was good, but the real thing is super time sensitive.

Pliny is on tap at Hamilton's fairly often (including right now), at Blind Lady (also right now, or as of Saturday when I was there), and a couple other places. O'Briens, Downtown Johnny Browns, and even the Live Wire have had it.

As for bottles. Depending on where you are in SD, Beverages 4 Less in Santee, South Bay in Imperial Beach, Best Damn Beer Shop in downtown, Whole Foods gets it, but sells out. K&B in Del Cerro has it and Holiday Wine Cellar in Esco has it, but those places are both pricy. Windmill Farms next door to K&B has had it too, but their beer is so cheap, stuff like that sells out fast.

As for the Younger, it'll be at all the bars mentioned above. We have no real shortage of it here, other than the fact that you have to go drink it on the day it is released or else it'll run out.

Carne, do you know if Blind Lady is gonna have the Younger this weekend?

I might stop by there on my way home on Sat.

How would you describe the hop taste on this? I've found that I enjoy the citrusy types, but not so much an overpowering piney taste. And the almost floral aromas/tastes do me in.

How would you describe the hop taste on this? I've found that I enjoy the citrusy types, but not so much an overpowering piney taste. And the almost floral aromas/tastes do me in.

More citrus than pine, but pine is present. No real floral notes at all.

Just had Pliny this weekend. BrewerinBR stopped by on his way home from work and we shared a pint.

Wow! I was actually surprised the hype wasn't better than the beer!

It was just a fabulous IIPA with plenty of hp character, yet smooth and not too sweet. Complex but not muddied.

I can see this being my new favorite IIPA (sorry Hopslam, you are still special.) I think it would be great to do a direct compare/constrast with Hopslam, which is richer and more caramelly. Both are loaded with hop flavor. At 8 and 10 percent it would be a fun tasting!

Back