Reverse Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
Well, I have gotten moved into the new house, and I think by this weekend I'll be situated enough to brew my first batch here (AG, batch sparger).

My intention is to brew an Oktoberfest now, and drink it come March...the exact opposite of normal :mug: I'll lager it in the basement or attached garage over the winter, keg it in Feb.

I'm not sure what yeast the LHBS will have on hand, but hops and grain won't be a problem.

So, anyone have a recipe they want to share? 5 gallon batch, All Grain (i can convert extract recipes as needed).

I'll be checking the recipe database as well, but feel free to point to one of those if you feel its 'extra worthy' of my attention.

Thanks!

Hi and congratulations on the move! I also think I'm going to lager in our attached garage this winter, try something new. FYI, Revvy has had a couple posts about his experience with this, if you're interested you could search through his posts.

Don't have an Octoberfest recipe for you, but I know there are a boatload in this section and in the recipe database. Cheers!

Here and here are a couple of BYO articles on Marzen/Oktoberfest. And here is a Brewing Techniques article. HTH!:mug:

EDIT: Here's a simple one:
5# German Pils malt
5# German Munich malt
.5# Caramunich Type II

Wyeast Bavarian Lager 2206 or White Labs Oktoberfest Lager WLP820...or Saflager W-34/70 if you use dry.

~1.055 OG
~1.015 FG

Magnum for bittering and Tettnanger for flavor/aroma (not too much flavor/aroma)...to achieve about 25 IBU.

Well, since it's made now, for the spring, that makes it a Maibock! I love maibocks, even better than Octoberfest beers, so how about a maibock? I make one every year. I did Kaiser's recipe a couple of times, and loved it!

Yooper has a great point there, maybe just make a Maibock.

With either of these beers, be aware of what kind of Munich malt you get. Breiss Munich 10L is a domestic 6-row malt @ 10L and Weyerman Munich Type I is European 2-row and closer to 6L (both are their 'light' Munich). Significant difference imo (psst...get the Weyermann ;)).

thanks for the munich malt tips, and the reminder of those BYO recipes (I subscribe).

I think my LHBS carries Weyerman Munich and Briess.

Never had a Maibock, and I do like the o-fests I've tried.

This brings up a point I have wondered for a while. Oktoberfest wasn't really intended to be a style, it is Marzin. And that happens to be what they use for Oktoberfest. Anyway I was drinking the Spatan Octovberfest and was thinking I would love this in the Spring. Come to find out there is a Spatan Marzin so I am set. I think this is a great idea go for it.

I have the marzen recipe figured out. no weyerman, and i don't quite have the ideal grain bill.
Still I am forging ahead and I suspect it will end up being tastey even if its not quite true to style (I don't have enough munich malt, so I'm tossing in some german pils and vienna. SRM should still be dead on though it may not be as malty as it should be)

Anyone have a clone for paulaner oktoberfest? Having trouble finding anything close to theirs...thanks

Back