Batch Sparging and Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DShoaf

Reaction score
So you do your vorlauf and then drain you MLT. Now I have some wort in my brew kettle. Does it just sit there and wait until I am done sparging??? Is the cooling of the wort something I have to correct or does it just sit there happily waiting the first sparge water to join it???

Yes, you're fine - vorlauf and sparge, and the wort can sit in the kettle until you're done with the sparge - then you boil....(if I followed your question correctly).

You can apply some heat to keep the temp up on the wort, don't think it will hurt anything.

I was getting hung up on the heat factor. Let it sit or heat it? I think that while the draining process takes a decent amount of time I could hit it with the flame a little. Thanks for the posts. I have another question, as I am extreamly new to all grain.

Just wondering if I have the batch sparge process correct..???

Mash 1 hour @ 150-158 degree F
Vorlauf
Drain Slowly
Measure amount of collected wort
Calculate amount of sparge water needed
Add sparge water @ 170-175 degrees F
Mix and let settle 10 mins
Vorlauf again
Slowly drain over the course of 45+ minutes

Good enough or am I missing something???

I was getting hung up on the heat factor. Let it sit or heat it? I think that while the draining process takes a decent amount of time I could hit it with the flame a little. Thanks for the posts. I have another question, as I am extreamly new to all grain.

Just wondering if I have the batch sparge process correct..???

Mash 1 hour @ 150-158 degree F
Vorlauf
Drain Slowly
Measure amount of collected wort
Calculate amount of sparge water needed
Add sparge water @ 170-175 degrees F
Mix and let settle 10 mins
Vorlauf again
Slowly drain over the course of 45+ minutes

Good enough or am I missing something???

It seems like your using a fly sparge technique (slow draining) but doing a batch sparge.

If you're batch sparging, drain the MLT quickly. Add 1/2 of the sparge water. Stir well. You can let it sit for 10 minutes if you want, but it's not necessary. Vorlauf, then run off fast. Then, add the rest of the sparge water. Stir well. Vorlauf, then run off fast.

Batch sparging is a time saver, and there's no reason to drain slowly.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it is detrimental to batch-sparge slowly. You are trying to suspend the sugar in the wort and drain it quickly before the sugar gets filtered onto the husks. With a fly sparge you are slowly rinsing the husks with a steady flow.

It's not detrimental from any perspective other than wasting time. Assuming you've already mashed long enough to get full conversion, the time between infusing the sparge water and draining the resultant wort should be about 3 minutes (just long enough to thoroughly mix the water in).

I always fire up the boil as soon as I get the runnings. I tend to oversparge anyways, so the slightly extra boiling time is good for me.

Back