Buying a CO2 tank off craigslist, any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xumbi

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy a 20 lb CO2 tank for $60 off of craigslist.

I'm completely new to kegging, so I was wondering, is there anything I should look for or check before handing over the cash?

Thanks!

co2 tanks have to be hydro tested every 5 years. Check the hydro stamp date on the tank. If it is out of date, that is a good point to try and get him to knock a few bucks off.

There are plenty of stories on HBT about people being able to swap an out of date for an in date tank without issue, but YMMV.

60 for a 20lber is a great deal though, so I'd go for it even if it was out of date.

Thanks very much for the information.

So if it is out of date, I would just have to have it re-certified?

Most places around here charge $20ish for a new hydro, but guy at Airgas here didn't seem to care (when I asked how much a hydro was over the phone, he responded with "just don't say anything whenyou come in"). If the hydro is out of date, you may be able to get a few bucks off. Don't worry if it's steel or aluminum; I got a used steel tank and got it swapped out for a nice aluminum one.

I'd call around and see what the average price for a hydro in your area is.

10 bucks for a hydro at my local CO2 supplier. I recently paid $80 for a used, hydro-ed 5lb. steel tank, filled and ready to go. 60 smackers for a 20 lb. tank is a deal! Go for it!
Beers,
Ken

My 20# AL was $25.... If i read correctly stamped dates are 93 * 99 is what it looks like. She was a lil dirty but looks great after cleaning.

Back