Sight glass too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

Reaction score
Installed my glass, but the water doesn't show up until about 3.75 gallons on both my HLT and BK. The boil kettle shouldn't be much of a problem, but I am worried about the HLT as some strikes/sparges could be less than that.

Its the kits from Brewhardware.com.

Is this too high?

It sounds like it's a little high, mine starts showing up around 2 gallons. I installed mine as low as I could. What I do in mine, if I need 10 gallons of strike or sparge water, I will put 12 gallons in, and then drain it to the 2 gallon mark. So you may need to do the same, add the amount you need to the 3.75 gallons.

Sounds like a plan. So its kind a trade off in that either I could install a third port with a lower sight glass, or use the extra propane to heat the extra water?

Are your kettles converted kegs? The domed bottom is the cause of this problem as there is only so low you can go. I second JFlongo's recc. that you just heat more water.

Here is the 4 gallon mark.

Sight Glass.jpg

That is definitely higher than mine, so either redrill and plug that, or roll with it. Here is a picture of mine.

hopandkeggleupdate 005.jpg

I am in the same boat, my BK/HLT (same vessel) is at 4.5 so I just heat more water and then I have some for cleanup ready to go. I wish I would've put it lower, but oh well. When I upgrade I will make sure it is lower.

-G

I used a 10 gallon SS pot and put the valve pretty low. The first full gallon mark is 2 gallons so if I need 5 gallons heated I fill it to the 7 gallon mark and drain back to 2 gallons. I estimate the difference for the heated water expansion.

Back