hydrometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtl

Reaction score
Hi
Im new to brewing and was finding using a glass hydrometer difficult are there any other devices out there?

Thanks

There are digital hydrometers, but they cost thousands, and then there are pycnometers, but they require a very clean sample of liquid with no trub. Refractomters are useful for some things, but they have a lot of trouble with measurements once alcohol gets produced.

In short, there are alternatives, but it's a lot easier to learn to love the hydrometer. Good luck! :mug:

(Out of curiosity, what's giving you difficulty?)

"Im new to brewing and was finding using a glass hydrometer difficult are there any other devices out there?"

There are hydrometers available with a smaller range, giving you a larger scale, which makes it quite easy to read.

My FG hydrometer is a smaller range: 0.980 - 1.020, with about an 1/8 of an inch between each graduation. NICE and easy to read!

What specifically are you finding difficult? What works for me is that I just fill the graduated cylinder and set it in a 2 gal bucket of cold water. When it's cooled, just float the hydrometer and read what line it's on.

Its a kickstarter campaign I think. They don't actually have it invented yet.

Seriously, hydrometer = super easy to use. Tell us what's been going wrong for you and Im sure we can help

Latest posts

Back