pbw mr. beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
How many tsp of pbw would i use to clean a mr. beer fermenter?And can I use pbw to clean the 1 litre mr. beer bottles and caps?

Use your digital scale & measure out 1.5oz in 1 gallon of water & shake to mix. Yes,it's great for cleaning PET bottles,I used it for cleaning the Cooper's PET bottles. Still have 45 of them. But don't use a bottle brush on them. Scratched plastic is a brewing no-no.

Since Mr. Beer is all plastic, I would look at using bleach to clean it - but then just rinse it real good afterwards. It is a bit cheaper and will work as well, if not better, than PBW.

Bleach is more of a sanitizer & I've done both. PBW is def a better cleaner. The right tool for the job does a better jof quicker. And it is quickly & easily rinsed off,unlike bleach.

Bleach is more of a sanitizer & I've done both. PBW is def a better cleaner. The right tool for the job does a better jof quicker. And it is quickly & easily rinsed off,unlike bleach.

I've never had to scrub after soaking in bleach overnight. Krausen rings, hop matter or other junk dislodges just fine. PBW works too - I've just always had to put a little more elbow grease into it. Not sure why.

When I soak my fermenters (both plastic) I use this spray wand my wife got me for Christmas first to clean heavy stuff. Then dump in 4TBSP of PBW & fill close to the top with water. warm water is better,don't want it too hot. Stir till the PBW dissolves & set the lid on it to keep them dang flies at bay. Yeah,even now,dang flies...wtf? :drunk:
I let it sit for 5-7 days & it all just falls off,& what's left comes off with on quick light swipe of the bottle brush.
Oh hey,while I'm thinking about it,I found a keg stuff site that has tube brushes 66" long for cleaning beer lines in 3/16" & 3/8" brush diameters. The braided wire "handle" is flexable to clean out the inside of those long tubes. They're called "beer line hose cleaning brushes. My aquarium lift tube brushes are good for short tubes,bu not the long ones. They'll be great for racking tubes,blow off tubes,etc. Clean as new with PBW in the tube & a quick brush. Here's the link; http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/cleaning-equipment/tools.shtml

thanx .....so I can let it sit overnight and I wont mess anything up with fermenter or bottles?

That's right. Let the cleaner do the work. It also mentions stuff like this on the PBW jar. Temps & dilution ratios depending on what you're trying to clean. Even that burned on black stuff it says. I use PBW & a dobie to clean my polished SS BK & HLT to shiny new again. Scrub rinse dry store. But the way I soak the FV's clean is easier than elbow grease,& no risk of scratching the plastic.

Back