first starter. is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timewasted

Reaction score
I did my first starter last night with some instructions online. 1 1/2 at water with 4 oz of DME. Boiled for 10 minutes. Cooled to 73 and pitched. Here is what I have this morning. There is some visible Krause but not much. Is this OK or should I buy a backup pack of us-05. Note the original yeast is wlp-001.

ForumRunner_20130104_072357.jpg

I did once last night. I think I will again now. Thanks for the responses! I'll feel much better now.

Before I got my stirplate (since there is always a new piece of must have brewing equipment) I would shake every few hours to add some oxygen. Whatcha making?

Starters are such small amounts, and relatively low gravity, so you typically won't see a lot of krausen. Your starter is fine. Just keep swirling it every now and then.

I gave it a couple of good swirls and there was quite a bit if co2 release. Worried for nothing!

I'm making a dales pale ale clone. U could use something choppy about right now.

Most of my starters had little to no visible krausen. But my last one looked like this.... :D

I will say this was after a good shaking but there was a good inch or more before. So, I think your good to go. There seems to be quite a varience on things like this and it probably is affected by yeast freshness, available nutrients etc..

Starter-W-Lotso-Kraussen.jpg

Back