US 2 row for lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostfish

Reaction score
Does anyone see any issues with using basic US brewers malt for a base in a lambic style ale, other than being nontraditional? My thinking is that any flavors provided by the malt will be destroyed royally over the next few years. Thoughts?

Don't make a fermentable wort if you do go that way...yeah the flavor of the grain coming through won't be much an issue...but, the point of a cereal mash is to leave a bunch of starches behind that the sacc won't eat leaving plenty of food for the pedio, lacto, and brett.

I plan on doing a turbid mash with about 33% raw wheat. Do you think this will be ok?

I think you will be fine...I don't have my Wild Brews handy with me to reference...but, that should provide plenty of starch for the bugs to chew on.

Sounds good.
Remember any "lambic" is actually a pLambic (pseudo lambic) - so go ahead and get creative. Its more the bugs than the malt that get to "shine" in lambic.
If you are trying to win competition, the only thing I would avoid is too much dark malts.

Thanks guys. No dark malts in this recipe. Just 2 row/wheat. Brewed up another one a few months back that got ~5% C40 with the wheat and pils, but I want something lighter this go around.

Sounds good.
Remember any "lambic" is actually a pLambic (pseudo lambic) - so go ahead and get creative. Its more the bugs than the malt that get to "shine" in lambic.
If you are trying to win competition, the only thing I would avoid is too much dark malts.

I hate the term pLambic. Such a silly term. Lets stop using that. If you're doing a turbid mash with ~30% wheat, you are making a lambic. If not, there is no reason do be doing such things.

I hate the term pLambic. Such a silly term. Lets stop using that. If you're doing a turbid mash with ~30% wheat, you are making a lambic. If not, there is no reason do be doing such things.

I couldn't agree more. The whole "plambic" thing is just silly.

levifunk said:

Yes. Yes. I'm glad someone said it.

Back