Best Brand to grow a Scoby from

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synaster

Reaction score
I am curious what might be the best brand to grow a scoby from? I have a bunch from GT's but I am curious what other brand people are having success with.

Thanks!

Hm I keep hearing people say GT's works for them, but that was not the experience for me, at least not with the GT's enlightened. Enlightened was the 'post change' formulation, and it appears to work for many people. I was able to make a scoby with it, but it seemed slow to ferment, slow to grow the scoby, and didn't taste as good as that made with a scoby a friend sent me.

Mine must be 'post change' too as I only bought it 2 months ago. I added 10oz of a jar of GT's to 3 qts tea and let it go for 21 days. I only got a thin scoby out of that. I kept 10oz of the new kombucha, the new scoby and added 3qts of new tea. In 12 days I had a nice new creamy white 1/4" thick scoby and in 21 days the scoby was 1/2 thick. I did the same thing again with the same results. I 'm on the 4th batch now.

21 days makes for some strong kombucha so I take each batch and add it to 3 qts of new tea (playing with different flavors) and bottle it. I like to let it condition for 4 or 5 days for some slight carbonation and then put it in the fridge. My kombucha area (open kitchen cabinet space) stays around 78F. I'm making it faster than I can drink it!

I started trying to make two SCOBYs. Both with the same recipe. I used GT's 100% Kombucha, original flavor. One grew a beautiful SCOBY and the other nothing...

Back