Cherry Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzien

Reaction score
I am planning on making a cherry mead with Oregon Fruit canned Cherries. What I would like to know is if I am going to get a krausen like with the blueberry mead I made, 'cause that was a mess. Thanks!:mug:

did you have a blow out ? lol I hate it when that happens. I don't know about the type of cherries you're using but you could have a fruit cap that pushes up and out. Just add enough water to the carboy to get to the shoulder area and not all the way to the neck. That should allow for the foam and cap to go wild for the first few days. Once your fermentation slows a bit after a week top it off with water.

What yeast do you plan on using and what temperature will you be able to hold it to ? The warmer it is the more rapid the fermentation and the greater a chance for mess.

Yeah, I had a blueberry explosion. At least, it was limited to inside my fermentation cabinet. I'm planning on brewing a one gallon batch, starting with 3# of Ambrosia honey, a can of Oregon Cherries in heavy syrup, and a Red Star Champagne yeast. After fermentation is complete (in a few weeks) I plan to use potassium sorbate to kill the yeast and sweeten with more cherries and honey to around 1.020. I'm hoping for a semi sweet to sweet mead. The fermentation temp will be 70- 72 degrees. I may use an old MR. Beer jug for the initial fermentation as it's designed for at least 2 gallons, leaving plenty of room for an exciting fermentation.

Back