What kind of keg is this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlc904

Reaction score
Hi, I got a free keg. I thought it was a Golden gate keg like the picture in The Joy of Home Brewing book. but it does not have the bottom hole. It has a hole in the top and a large bung in the side. It says Firestone Stainless Steel by the large bung hole on the side. On top it says Pabst Brewing Co. 7.75 gallon. Is this keg useable for anything or just scrap? I already have corny kegs but I was hoping I could use this for something. Thanks

Firkin keg?
firkin_p.jpg

That's firkin kewl! I've never seen one of those.

Youtube video shows one. Normally used for cask-conditioned ale.

[ame=http://youtu.be/XYAkqaRwwto]What is a Firkin? - YouTube[/ame]

Note: A firkin is 9 imperial gallons, which is 10.8 US gallons. So that keg you have is not a firkin.

A kilderkin is 18 imperial gallons.

This screams Hoff-Stevens keg to me. I have 3 of them. I plan to turn 1 into a sink, a urinal and the last into a smoker or a grill. They are basically useless for this hobby.

I'm with Zamial. Hoff-Stevens 1/4 bbl is most likely what you have there. I'll sell you a tap, new washer and a bung if you really want to use it, but they're not terribly practicle for hb.

Beach

This screams Hoff-Stevens keg to me. I have 3 of them. I plan to turn 1 into a sink, a urinal and the last into a smoker or a grill. They are basically useless for this hobby.

Not entirely useless, but not ideal. I have 2 and a friend welded covers over the side bungs and I use 1 as a MLT and the other just takes up room in the garage right now. I made a round copper ring with slits cut in it for a false bottom. Works great as a MLT. I'll post pics tomorrow.

you guys are right. I got to looking a little closer and the upper valve does say Hoff-Stevens. I'm not sure what I'll do with it. Probably scrap it and make a few dollars to buy something I can use in my home brewery. Thanks for the replies

Back