Milk Stout, grain to glass in 25 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scone

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing adx's all grain Left Hand Milk Stout clone (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/) for a camping trip but the brewday keeps getting pushed back. If I brew tomorrow I only have 25 days to primary, keg, and force carb. I've never tried doing a beer this fast, what are the odds that it will be good? I know it won't be at it's best this early, but will it be just plain bad, or really-almost-as-good-as-it'll-get, or just 'meh'?

It'll be fermented with S-05, OG 1.060 (that's without the lactose I think).

That is pushing it scone, there is a lot going on with that recipe. You would have to be as flawless as possible; even then all those different grains would take a while to marry well. I would bring the alcohol down as well, let it mature faster.

Let us know how it turns out if you end up doing it.

Best of luck.

Do it. With good temp control, I don't see why not. Brew today, primary 2.5 weeks, cold crash a few days, carb.

Pitch healthy yeast, ferment at the proper temperature, and you'll be fine with about 10 days to spare.

Having your beer sit so long in primary is overrated.

25 days should be totally fine. Ferment 2 weeks, cold crash 1 week, and keg/force carb by shaking the crap out of it 2 days before you need to pour it. Should be good to go as long as your process on brew day and during fermentation is sound.

Pitch healthy yeast, ferment at the proper temperature, and you'll be fine with about 10 days to spare.

Having your beer sit so long in primary is overrated.

I agree with this.

it's rare that a beer doesnt make it grain to glass in 21 days for me, excepting very high alcohol beers or things that require long term aging, of course.

I have brewed this recipe for the past 3 years. Third time was just a month ago. You can easily go grain to glass in 25 days. Rehydrate the yeast and aerate the wort well. It will taste wonderful. I don't notice this stout changing much with age. Tastes awesome even young.

I will go home and drink some of the latest batch now.

I agree with this.

it's rare that a beer doesnt make it grain to glass in 21 days for me, excepting very high alcohol beers or things that require long term aging, of course.

Me too. I just put an amber on tap today that I made on October 8. It was even dryhopped before I kegged it today. It tastes really good.

I will say that my oatmeal stout takes a bit longer to meld than some of my other beers, and since there is a lot of flavors in there that need some mellowing, it's better after about 5-6 weeks total. That's one of the few beers that I'm not drinking by day 20.

Because of the dark roasted malts in stouts I'm also guessing you will be fine. With time the taste will no doubt mature. Eat it with S'mores and everyone will think you are a beer guru!

I'm going camping this weekend with a Great Divide imperial stout clone. It was in the primary for 3 months before I bottled it last week. I threw in some healthy yeast and a small amount of table sugar to get them excited and then DME as the main priming sugar. It will only be 7 days bottle conditioned which is one reason I pitched new healthy yeast. Besides that it tasted pretty good before bottling. The majority of it however will be saved for the holidays.

Let us know how it turns out!

Kegged it yesterday and put it on 30 psi. Tasted it today after dropping the pressure to 12 and it is already fantastic on day 21. Carbonation is definitely not quite there yet but the beer is might tasty. adx's recipe is fantastic, I think this is the best beer I've brewed to date and I'm sure it still has some room to improve a bit in the coming weeks. Sweet. :rockin:

For the record, fermented at 65 for a week and then raised it to 68. Crash cooled to 44 right before kegging.

Well done, and thanks for providing results! It's pretty common we never hear back lol

Back