what classes to help brewing process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassikguitarist

Reaction score
Hello first time on the forums here,

I am a student at California State University, Chico. I am currently studying to become a civil engineer. My father and three of his home brewing buddies have started a brewery down in Lake Elsinore, CA. They are doing very well and I have been thinking about certain classes I can take at my school that may be able to help in the brewing process. Its about that time for open enrollment so I thought I may sign up for a class that can help out. Any ideas?

thanks in advance.

if any of you are in southern california check out their brewery
http://www.craftbrewingcompany.com

Sorry, this is off topic, but I saw the location of the brewery is Lake Elsinore and all I could think of was "Elsinore Brewery...where have I heard that before?"

StrangeBrew1.jpg

I would say microbio, especially with the lab. If you do well and like that type of science you could be the lab person for them and do quality control tests as well as work with the yeast bank on slants and plates. Chemistry may help, but I dont think anything I learned in gen chem has helped me as a brewer. Your enigneering will also help if they need to expand/build/modify anything as well. Good luck

You won't learn much until you get to biochemistry, which of course generally requires 2 semesters of general chemistry and 2 semesters of organic chemistry. But your an engineer, you can handle it!

Marketing 101

I have not heard of them, so there is definately improvement that can be made there.

thank you guys for all the info. I will be talking to my engineering advisor to see what engineering classes i can sign up for as well. cheers

Back