Recipes with Munich and Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klyph

Reaction score
I bought a 55 lb sack of each of these right before I brewed my Munich Dunkel and since then I've been burning through the pale malt a lot faster than these two.
I'd like if you kind folk could make some suggestions on beer styles that utilize these two base malts heavily or link to recipes that use a lot of Munich and Pilsner. I prefer dark malty beer styles so bring it on.

Thanks in advance.

I'm currently drinking an IPA made with Pilsner and Munich. Nothing wrong with that. Any German style should also be fine.

Helles, Vienna, Octoberfest-marzen, bock, Dopplebock, eis-bock are your styles lager styles that have 100% of either malt. Pick a color and go for it. Helles is 100% pilsner, as they get darker the ratio of munich goes up.

Hmmm, I see a lot of lagers in my future. Maybe it's time for a full time lagering chamber.

Thanks for all the help guys.

If you like Belgians, you can make most styles with Pilsner or Pils + Munich. Pales, Dubbels, Trippels, Golden Strongs, they all have a Pilsner base and the darker ones use Munich for color and malty backbone.

There's no reason not to make a brown ale with munich as a base malt, or a pale ale with pilsner as base malt. They're still beer.

I recall an article by Greg Noonan who realized that the lager equivalent of a Scottish export ale was an Oktoberfest. Similar grist, different yeast.

Ideally make an ale recipe with pale malt as the base, and then repeat the recipe with Munich or Pilsener as the base to see the difference base malts make.

I'm finding I really like Vienna malt as my pale ale base malt, so maybe a 50/50 mix of Munich and Pilsener is the ticket.

I have done a saison twice, in which both were mostly done with Pilsner, so I know you could incorporate that, or do anything Belgian like anyone else said.

Back