Northern Illinois All Grain Seminar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rdwj said:
You know, I tend to agree with Cheese. I'd hate to get stuck with 25 gallons of stuff we don't like. To make matters worse, we won't have each other to dump some off - lol.

Perhaps we can do something where we make two different things. There is a pretty long lag during the 60 min rest - we could get the next one going during that.

Seems like we'd have plenty of time

Okay, sounds good to me. But do we still get to wear matching shirts?

Cheesefood said:
I'm going shirtless. Maybe even pantsless.

OK, now who's brewing what?

I wish I could come! This sounds great. I love basketball (saw Marquette lose to Louisville Sat. night), and I love beer. And I love brewing. Too bad it's a little too far for me. :mug:

Yooper Chick said:
I wish I could come! This sounds great. I love basketball (saw Marquette lose to Louisville Sat. night), and I love beer. And I love brewing. Too bad it's a little too far for me. :mug:

You'll do anything to see me naked, won't you??

Cheesefood said:
I'm going shirtless. Maybe even pantsless.

OK, now who's brewing what?

If that's the case, then I guess I'm going to have to learn to brew blindfolded.

I may have two choices, depending on what date we decide to brew. I can do the 777 or an Alt. I had grains all measured and ready to go for an Alt that I thought I might brew last week when I was snowbound. But it was too frigid to brew and this weekend I'm brewing more Kelly's Honey Blonde Ale. I could just hold off and do the Alt then.

Just getting caught up with the post. My schedule is pretty open in the near future. We can do it at my place. I'm not wearing the same shirt as everybody else, sounds a little "Brokeback" to me.

The 777 and an Alt sounds good to me - are we going to do 10 gallons of each? Or 10 of the 777 and a smaller batch?

...or something else??

I say we all wear Sox jerseys. I can let Cheese borrow one of mine - lol

...either that, or you have to wear one of these...

00167817.detail.a.jpg

...and sing the "peanut butter jelly" song

rdwj said:
The 777 and an Alt sounds good to me - are we going to do 10 gallons of each? Or 10 of the 777 and a smaller batch?

...or something else??

I say we all wear Sox jerseys. I can let Cheese borrow one of mine - lol

...either that, or you have to wear one of these...

00167817.detail.a.jpg

...and sing the "peanut butter jelly" song

I have a Sox jersey, it was a present from my BIL when he didn't realize that I'm a Cubs fan. I've kept it in case I ever feel like getting matching arm tats with my son and doing a lot of meth.

As for the beer, I'd like to do the 777 but maybe not the same as Rhoob. I like the grain bill and I like the thought of doing an APA.

Well, I'm already set to do a 5 gal. batch of Alt. So, we could do that, maybe 10 gal. of the 777 and maybe 5 gal. of something else(?).:confused: Should we start a poll? :D

I have no jersey, but I do have a Sox 2005 WS tee shirt.

I want to use my new mash tun, but am a tad concerned about using it for the 10 gal project as I don't have a efficiency rating yet - she's still a virgin.

I'm wondering if we should use Rhoobarb's tun and my keggle for the 10 gal and my tun and Rhoobarb's pot for a 5 gal recipe?

I wouldn't mind trying an AG version of my Grand Cru for my first shot. That stuff is pretty tasty. Of course, I'm up for just about anything outside of an Old Style clone.

rdwj said:
... I'm wondering if we should use Rhoobarb's tun and my keggle for the 10 gal and my tun and Rhoobarb's pot for a 5 gal recipe?...

That's fine with me. I'm sure it can handle that much grain. The Grand Cru sounds good. FWIW, I also just remembered I have ingredients and yeast for a Steam beer, too.

rdwj said:
I want to use my new mash tun, but am a tad concerned about using it for the 10 gal project as I don't have a efficiency rating yet - she's still a virgin.

I'm wondering if we should use Rhoobarb's tun and my keggle for the 10 gal and my tun and Rhoobarb's pot for a 5 gal recipe?

I wouldn't mind trying an AG version of my Grand Cru for my first shot. That stuff is pretty tasty. Of course, I'm up for just about anything outside of an Old Style clone.

What's wrong with each of us doing a 5 gallon batch? I'd rather do my own that argue with someone else about what ingredients to use. And I'm all giddy about my setup so I want to try out my gear. Rd and I can pop our cherries together.

I'd love to try that Cru when it's ready. Make sure you fill a couple bottles for me. I'm still torn as to what I want - a hoppy APA, an all-grain caramel vanilla, a light lager, a hearty red, or a fun belgian like a wit.

Cheesefood said:
What's wrong with each of us doing a 5 gallon batch?...

Works for me! Now I just have to make up my mind as to what to brew!:D That may depend on what date we decide to brew.
:ban:

Everyone doing their own 5 gal is fine with me too. I just thought that we'd do a big one as a group - I'm good either way.

rdwj said:
Everyone doing their own 5 gal is fine with me too. I just thought that we'd do a big one as a group - I'm good either way.
Oh, I'd still like to do it as a group brew/get-together! Don't get me wrong there!

Where and when?

Rhoobarb said:
Oh, I'd still like to do it as a group brew/get-together! Don't get me wrong there!

Where and when?

Where? Snakefood said he'd host. But if he can't, I'm happy to do it if nobody else wants to
When? We're looking for Cheese to give us his open days next month - and hopefully that works with FermentEd.

rdwj said:
Where? Snakefood said he'd host. But if he can't, I'm happy to do it if nobody else wants to
When? We're looking for Cheese to give us his open days next month - and hopefully that works with FermentEd.
I'm hoping it's the weekend of the 24-25. That way I should be able to brew. If it doesn't work out that way I'll still try to stop by later.:)

Rhoobarb said:
So, where are we with this?:confused:

I think we're looking at the 24th or 25th - and hopefully Cheese's schedule matches

Probably best to do this via PM - nobody misses it that way.

just came back from the bell's general store and they have a "bootleggers special":drunk: running. anyone with a valid ill. ID gets 15% off beer purchase.:rockin:

eriklupust said:
just came back from the bell's general store and they have a "bootleggers special":drunk: running. anyone with a valid ill. ID gets 15% off beer purchase.:rockin:

Road trip! Thanks for the heads-up!

I just realized last night that Saturday will be tough for me, too. I have to be in the city the Friday night before and it will run late. That'll make it tough for me to get there Saturday at a reasonable time. So, Sunday looks like it will work better for me, too.

Back