Irish Stout Ode To Arthur, Irish Stout (Guinness Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im going to brew this on memorial day, i thought it would be fitting since im irish (no disrespect to our soldiers and veterens out there). Only thing I am going to do different is use black barley in place of the roasted barley (300). I recently made a stout with rb (300) and i feel that you need something along the lines of 500-600 to get that guinness bitterness. Maybe i'll be wrong, we'll see. I'm also shooting for the extra stout style, have 24 oz of soured extra stout guinness ready to go on brew day. cheers:mug:

I have this going now but as I was brewing it was fiddling with my iphone brew apps and realized that I can scale this up to 6% which is what the bottled Extra Stout is. Can this be scaled up to 6.0% ABV to give a close approximation to the Extra Stout or are they completely different recipes? Has anyone done this?
Ben

How would this recipe work as a irish oatmeal stout with 1 to 2 pounds of flaked oats, or maybe a combo of oat malt and flaked oats? Can Irish stouts become oatmeal stouts, or is the yeast and grain bill too wrong for it? thanks for info.

Hi I just did the percentage as BM said to but for some reason on Beer Smith my SRM is more Brown and it is 17. Wondering any help would be greatly appreciated also brewing this recipe this weekend so faster the reply the more I would appreciate it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Ode To Arthur (Guiness Clone)
Brewer: Adam Korby
Asst Brewer:
Style: Dry Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 21.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 27.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 68.42 %
2.25 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 23.68 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.89 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 27.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 9.50 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
150 min Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 159.5 F 151.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 16.00 qt of water at 186.8 F 168.0 F

Notes:
------
First, get the "tang" the way Guinness does: Sour about 24 oz (2 bottles) of stout (pref.
Guinness) by leaving it out in a bowl a week or more & then freezing it.
While brewing, thaw the sour stout & heat it to 180-190 F for 20 min.
Mash-in at 155F, hold for 1 hour, boil 1 hour & 15 minutes.
At end boil, add the sour stout

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to use 500 srm black roasted barley, I use 6/2/1 for a five gallon batch.

Ok so here is my options at my homebrewer shop I have either roasted barley or just plain black barley. If I do use black barley should it also be 10 percent in the recipe?

Well brewed this today and my cooler went down do I had to do a paint strainer bag method and my gravity is only 4.24 and it is already in the fermentor with yeast in it. Was wondering if I should just leave it be or try and add something? Any suggestions?

RDWHAHB, leave it alone. You could add sugar if you really need more alcohol, but I wouldn't.

Well brewed this today and my cooler went down do I had to do a paint strainer bag method and my gravity is only 4.24 and it is already in the fermentor with yeast in it. Was wondering if I should just leave it be or try and add something? Any suggestions?

what do you mean your gravity is at 4.24?

Sorry must of missed type that my gravity is 1.024 with 4.25 gallons of beer in my primary.

<rant>

Seriously, people who brewed this recipe and used a partial sour mash need to report in how it tastes. What's the percentage of sour mash you used, if you used acid malt or not, the whole process and how it compares to the original.

The majority of posts made by people saying they'll be doing so dates from a while back and, sadly, nobody seems to care reporting in when their beer is ready. </rant>

So I made this about 11 weeks ago. It tastes great, but my version doesn't taste a whole lot like guinness. It has more of a basic ale taste, than a dark roasty stout. I was wondering if anyone else got that or if my substitutions could have caused the difference. My subs were Fuggles for hops (30 IBUs) and Wyeast 1084 Irish ale for yeast. Below are what my percentage's were for the grain bill

24% flaked barley
12% Roasted Barley
62% Pale Malt
~3% acid malt

BM,

I just transferred 5G to secondary. If the hydro sample at 10 days is any indication, then this is going to be a fantastic brew. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

So I made this about 11 weeks ago. It tastes great, but my version doesn't taste a whole lot like guinness. It has more of a basic ale taste, than a dark roasty stout. I was wondering if anyone else got that or if my substitutions could have caused the difference. My subs were Fuggles for hops (30 IBUs) and Wyeast 1084 Irish ale for yeast. Below are what my percentage's were for the grain bill

24% flaked barley
12% Roasted Barley
62% Pale Malt
~3% acid malt

So I had another one the other day and it tasted much more like a stout should... So i guess my tastes buds were like this when I had the first one --> :drunk:

OK, so how would this recipe do (compared to a Pub poured Guinness) if it was pushed through a Stout tap with re-stricter plate but conditioned and pushed with 10 PSIs of CO2, and with no priming sugar?

Nitro tanks and regulators are expensive. Curious if i should buy a full system this year for this one beer.

OK, so how would this recipe do (compared to a Pub poured Guinness) if it was pushed through a Stout tap with re-stricter plate but conditioned and pushed with 10 PSIs of CO2, and with no priming sugar?

Nitro tanks and regulators are expensive. Curious if i should buy a full system this year for this one beer.

This is exactly how I serve it. The stout tap will really give you a foamy pint, but that's the whole point. You'll have to let it rest a for minute or two before topping off. The catch is to not let the beer get too carbonated on CO2. I get my keg up to desired volumes and then shut off the gas...opening it only enough to periodically push the beer.

OK, that's exactly what i will do this year. Getting a full nitro setup will cost over $300. I will just get the stout tap, carb with CO2, and push with CO2.

Since I won't be priming, what pressure do you think I should force carb with to get close to Guiness with this setup? 6 PSI?

I have this kegged and under 6PSIs of CO2. I'll order my stout faucet and shank this week. Should be ready for Thanksgiving. I'll plan on pushing with the CO2 this time. You think I'm OK going this route BierMuncher?

I have this kegged and under 6PSIs of CO2. I'll order my stout faucet and shank this week. Should be ready for Thanksgiving. I'll plan on pushing with the CO2 this time. You think I'm OK going this route BierMuncher?

You should be good pushing with CO2...just don't let the keg sit under constant CO2 pressure. Once it's at your desired carb levels...only apply gas to push during a session...not for storage. You'll of course want to sample the beer a few days ahead of time to make adjustments. Remember that serving through a stout tap will require the freshly poured pint settles for a few minutes before topping off and serving.

I have some WLP002 English Ale yeast at home that I washed from a Summit Winter Ale clone that I made. It looks like this yeast compared to an Irish yeast are close from the profiles I have read...

Can anyone comment on using WLP002 instead of an Irish Ale yeast when making a Guinness Clone? Thanks!

I'm thinking about doing this recipe with a few changes based what I have on hand. Any informed :) opinions about how it might turn out?

Main changes are substituting Willamette for the hops (6 more ibu too), a little more roasted barley, little less flaked barley and substituting 7 lbs of 6 row for 2 row.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Guiness Clone
Brewer: Rellot
Asst Brewer:
Style: Dry Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.55 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 35.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.58 %
4.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 23.19 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 23.19 %
2.00 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 11.59 %
0.25 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 1.45 %
4.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 36.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [Starter 300Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 17.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 21.63 qt of water at 165.3 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 13.39 qt of water at 203.0 F 168.0 F

Notes:
------

Can anyone comment on using WLP002 instead of an Irish Ale yeast when making a Guinness Clone? How would it change the flavor, would it matter? Thanks!

Brewed up 5 gal of this yesterday with williamette and a touch of chocolate malt. horrible brewday stuck sparge (turns out my braid was crushed) took about 8 hours start to finish but man that hydrometer sample tasted good! ended up with just under 5gal in the bucket with a OG @ 1.044 :ban: now if i can just wait for it to get ready.............

SD

There has been a lot of talk about proper kegging of this recipe and using the right ratio of gasses... well my question is how would this turn out if bottled carbed? I don't have a kegging system but would like to make this. How would it taste different than the stuff on tap at the bar?

There has been a lot of talk about proper kegging of this recipe and using the right ratio of gasses... well my question is how would this turn out if bottled carbed? I don't have a kegging system but would like to make this. How would it taste different than the stuff on tap at the bar?

The key to a good smooth stout is to have lower than "normal" carbonation. Even if the beer is primed and bottled like your other beers, a good aggressive pour into a large pint glass will cause a lot of the carbonation to release and you'll have a smoother beer.

Furthermore, I am a little confused about pouring... People talk about wanting a nice head on a beer, but I was always under the impression that you want to pour a beer on the side of the glass to limit the amount of head. Or is this different for different styles? Could anyone help here so that I make sure I'm making the most of my beer experience, and maybe more importantly the experience of others who try my brews?

Just kegged this last night after 4.5 weeks in the fermenter. The sample tasted delicious! According to Beersmith, it's ABV is right at 4.3%, looking forward to getting this carb'd up and flowing! I think I'll try it at about 1.9 volumes of CO2, figuring I could always pump it up a little more.

I've got a batch of this going again that is just waiting for my buddies keg of guinness to kick so i can get my nitro set up back.... hydro sample a couple weeks ago was spot on to guinness with the 'guinness left in a bowl for a few weeks to get sour' method.

This time I also held the soured guinness around 190 F for about half an hour and then added after chilling compared to adding it at ten minutes left in the boil and it seems to taste much more like guinness than my last batch.

I just put in in the oven with my temp probe in it and once it got over 180 F I started timing it. This time also I soured three 11.2 oz bottles of guinness draught compared to two bottles last time and the soured taste omes through much better, but that could also be due to adding after chilling compared to adding during the boil. I was having issues with my nitro system for my last batch also and finally figured them out so I am quite excited for this batch!!

whipping this one up today. (5 Gal AG)

1L starter of WLP002 has been on the stirplate for 12 hours now already.

im planning on a long, low mash to adjust for this yeast's tendency to attenuate lower. (@152 for 90min)

just mashed in.

only difference, (aside from WLP002 obviously) were my kent goldings are at 7.2%AA. And unfortunately, my LHBS only had 1# flaked barley so i subbed the second pound with golden naked oats.

im aware that this is a major change to the recipe, but given what i had to work with i still think this will come out to be a tasty stout.

So, just finishing up my last keg of this stout, just thought I would add a comment for the others like me that don't have a stout tap or nitro available. I'm not sure where I heard this orginally, probably on a forum somewhere, but to get that creamy head I fill the pint glass about 1/2 to 3/4 full, then using a turkey injector, suck up a syringe full of stout and squeeze it back into the beer. Suprise, beautiful cascading bubbles just like the real deal. After everything calms down, fill up the glass the rest of the way. I know this sounds wrong somehow but hey it works.

So, just finishing up my last keg of this stout, just thought I would add a comment for the others like me that don't have a stout tap or nitro available. I'm not sure where I heard this orginally, probably on a forum somewhere, but to get that creamy head I fill the pint glass about 1/2 to 3/4 full, then using a turkey injector, suck up a syringe full of stout and squeeze it back into the beer. Suprise, beautiful cascading bubbles just like the real deal. After everything calms down, fill up the glass the rest of the way. I know this sounds wrong somehow but hey it works.

How do we know this is true? (picture please :))

How do we know this is true? (picture please :))

And here's the proof...:mug:

DSCF2540Small.jpg

DSCF2542Small.jpg

DSCF2553Small.jpg

Back