innaccurate onlinebrew calculators. Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I've been using the free online brewing calculators (Beercalculus and tastybrew) but my FG is way lower than they predicted. Please check my recipe on your calculator and see if it agrees. Here is my recipe:
IPA
11# 2 row
1# Munich
.25 Crystal 60
.25 Carapils
1oz Cent 90 1oz
1oz Cent 10
1oz Cas 10
1oz Cas flmt
1oz Cent flmt
WLP001 starter
Tastybrew says FG should be 1.017 and Beercalculus says FG should be 1.016 but I got FG 1.012. That seems like a big difference to me. I'm getting ready to bottle this IPA but it still doesn't taste as dry as I was expecting it to. Maybe my hydrometer is not accurate?

I didn't run it through any software, but that seems reasonable to me. What is your mash temperature? Unless you mashed at 155-156, I would be surprised if that beer finished above 1.012. WLP001 is very attenuative, at least for me, often getting me 80% attenuation. What was your OG?

That's almost 82% attenuation. That's very reasonable with that yeast, that malt bill, and that mash temperature.

I don't think there are any online calculators that take mash temp, ingredients, and the yeast's probable attenuation into account when they give you a projected FG. You could have mashed at 155, and it would have finished at 1.017. You could have mashed at 147, and it might have finished at 1.008, if the yeast could be pushed to it.

A good rule of thumb is to find out the yeast strain's average attenuation (or the attenuation you usually get with that strain) and add or subtract a few points based on the mash temperature and ingredients.

Back