Ring of something in one of my beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
I bottled a stout quite a few months ago that didn't turn out quite right so I've let it sit for awhile hoping it would get better. Today I grabbed a bottle and noticed a whiteish ring around the inside at the top where the beer level is. I looked at the rest of my bottles and they all have it. I swirled one around and pieces of the ring came off the bottle and were floating in the beer. It seems odd that it's in every bottle and only around the top where the beer stops.

Any idea what this is?

Can definitely be a sign of infection, though I have seen it before without one.

The only reason I suggested infection was because the OP said they bottled it months ago and didn't see the ring until only recently.

I guess I will have to try one. It originally had a plastic/bandaid after taste that I hoped would mellow with time. A friend of mine still really liked it though and drank a couple of 12ers of it. Would an infection only manifest itself after such a long period of time?

Back