Any good beer or beer stores in Omaha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doog_Si_Reeb

Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm heading to a buddy's wedding in Omaha this weekend. I get in really late Friday and leave really early Sunday. I'll have a few hours during Saturday to potentially hit a beer store if there is one worth stopping by. I wouldn't mind seeing if there are some beers available that I can't get in NM. I still haven't tasted Pliny the Elder. :eek:

Any suggestions? I'll be in the La Vista area in Bellevue briefly for the ceremony.

I'm an Omaha ex-pat and things have changed since I've moved, but here's what I remember.

Beertopia is by far the best place to get hard to find beers. It's only been open a couple of years, and I've only been there once. They have a killer selection. BeerTopia -- Drink Global. Shop Local. Also the bar(s) attached are pretty awesome. Crescent Moon used to be my go to bar, and they build a nice German bar beneath Crescent Moon.

Next up would be Cornhusker Beverage Cornhusker Beverage and Bridal - Wedding Invitations, Beverage Catering, Wine, Liquor, Beer Good selection, and they sell lots of home brewing ingredients as well. This place is probably closest to where you'll be over the weekend.

And lastly, Jake's http://www.jakescigarsandspirits.com/ Pretty good selection, and the bar attach is just freakin' awesome. I always end up here whenever I'm back in Omaha.

Like I mentioned before, Cornhusker Beverage is closest to La Vista, but you'll find Omaha isn't that big, and you can probably get anywhere you want in about 20 minutes.

You won't find Pliny in Nebraska.
Beer Corner has our best selection (36th and Farnum, midtown). Three bars on site, all accessible through the Moon's entrance. Anyway, Crescent Moon houses the American craft beer. Max and Joe's next door has the belgians, and downstairs is the huber haus, which is a German beer hall. Beertopia, next door, is the carryout store.

We have a handful of brewpubs. Upstream has two locations, downtown and one out west. Nebraska Brewing Company is in Papillion, south of you from La Vista. Jaipur is a Indian restaurant with a small (2 barrel) brew system. Granite City is a chain, which I don't recommend. Upstream is my favorite, Nebraska brewing a close second, only because it's a longer drive from my place.

EDIT:
For an additional packaged selection, you can head across the Iowa border a few miles. The Hy-Vee grocery store near the Mall of the Bluffs (1745 Madison Ave, Council Bluffs, IA 51503) has a good selection of things we don't get in Nebraska. Random selections from Anderson Valley, Bear Republic, Bells, Dogfishhead, and more.

Beertopia, Upstream. That's really all you need to know. Go to the downtown location of Upstream, it's only about 1.5 miles from Beertopia. Both locations sell bottles of Upstream's beer. Pick up some Hopluia at Beertopia--you'll only find it in Nebraska (and maybe Iowa?), and it's awesome. The only other good beer bar I found was The Brass Monkey Sports bar, and it's so far south in Omaha it's practically Bellevue.
Their address is 5611 S 36th St Omaha, NE 68107 (402) 991-4920

That's about all you need to know/see if you're only in the area for a few days, but yeah, no chance of Pliny. When I was in Council Bluffs, IA (5 mins from Bellevue) at the Mall of the Bluffs HyVee, two weeks ago they still had a 6 pack of Three Floyd's Robert the Bruce, which is basically only available in Chicago under normal circumstances, but they could well be sold out now.

Thanks guys. The ceremony is in Bellevue and there should be a few hours between the ceremony and the reception. I'm planning to hit up one or more of these in the idle time.

I'm also going to hit up Cabela's in the morning because I will be staying about .25 miles away.

Back