Pumpkin Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinJ

Reaction score
This stuff was great. I used less water though. I think i used 3 quarts waters instead of 4.

Kevin

INGREDIENTS
* 1½ lbs. Puréed Pumpkin (either home-made or canned, but don't use "Pumpkin Pie Filling")
* Approximately 4 qts. Water
* 2 cups Brown Sugar
* ¼ cup Raisins, chopped
* 9 inches Cinammon Stick, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 4 or 5 Cloves
* 1 oz. Grated Ginger
* 1/8 tsp. Ale Yeast grains
* ¼ cup Lukewarm Water

Simmer two quarts of water, the pumpkin purée, sugar, raisins, cinammon, cloves, and ginger for about half an hour.

Take it off the heat, and let it cool off covered for about thirty minutes. Then strain the mixture into a carboy and add another one or two quarts of water.

Prepare the yeast in the ¼ cup of lukewarm water, then add it to the carboy. Mix thoroughly, then bottle immediately.

Store in a temperature stable place, and check its carbonation after two days. Refrigerate it immediately once it is "fizzy" enough.

Approximately. You could adjust to taste or double the recipe as needed. The big can of pumpkin was only a little more than what the recipe calls for so I just added the whole can. I did not want to just throw out the unused portion.

Kevin

Thanks for posting this KevinJ,
It definitely sounds interesting so I guess I'm going to have to make some

I stole the recipe/directions from online. I did not use a carboy. I used just a bottling bucket. In FL it normally only take about 26 hours to fully carbonate.

Kevin

I stole the recipe/directions from online. I did not use a carboy. I used just a bottling bucket. In FL it normally only take about 26 hours to fully carbonate.

Ahhh ok. I've been planning on trying to make some sodas and this sounds pretty good. I think I'd end up either sticking it in a keg or into bottles and force carbonating with a carbonator cap.

Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe. I went ahead and made it as instructed except instead of carbonating it I bought seltzer at the store (I needed the bottles anyway).

In case anyone is wondering how to do it with seltzer, what I did was after straining the pumkin out of the liquid I put the 2 quarts back into the pot and boiled it down to 1 quart of liquid. That way when I want some I can pour a .25 cup of pumpkin syrup into a .75 cup of seltzer.

Was very delicious by the way. I don't even like pumpkins too much... defiantly going to be making more this autumn

IMG_00842.JPG

Boiling 2 quarts
IMG_0089.JPG

Boiling down to 1 quart
IMG_00902.JPG

1/4 cup of pumkin "syrup" poured into 3/4 cups of seltzer

xalu said:
Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe. I went ahead and made it as instructed except instead of carbonating it I bought seltzer at the store (I needed the bottles anyway).

In case anyone is wondering how to do it with seltzer, what I did was after straining the pumkin out of the liquid I put the 2 quarts back into the pot and boiled it down to 1 quart of liquid. That way when I want some I can pour a .25 cup of pumpkin syrup into a .75 cup of seltzer.

Was very delicious by the way. I don't even like pumpkins too much... defiantly going to be making more this autumn

Boiling 2 quarts

Boiling down to 1 quart

1/4 cup of pumkin "syrup" poured into 3/4 cups of seltzer

Interesting. I'm glad you liked it. I may try making it into a wine at a later day.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back