How many times can I do this...reusing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Lately Ive gotten into the habit of having a 1.040 DME mix ready for when I bottle or keg. I swirl the little bit of yeast left in the carboy and pour a bit into my starter flask to reuse the yeast. Its been working great so far.

But is there a rule of thumb for how many times I want to do this before I would want to start over with fresh yeast? Thanks

:mug:

Most people also advise harvesting from the primary, not the secondary. Although its much cleaner out of hte secondary, you are isolating the least flocculant of the bunch (this, I'm told, is the drawback). I did it before I heard that and had no problems, but I went out 2 generations on that yeast.

clayof2day said:
Most people also advise harvesting from the primary, not the secondary. Although its much cleaner out of hte secondary, you are isolating the least flocculant of the bunch (this, I'm told, is the drawback). I did it before I heard that and had no problems, but I went out 2 generations on that yeast.

thats a good point. I didnt even think of that. But your right, I was doing it from the secondary so I didnt really have to wash alot of trubb out.

Back