RIMS technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
I searched for this in other threads but wasn't able to find a thread on this. I have a general question about the mashing technique for RIMS. Please forgive me if some of the questions seem idiotic :drunk:

The reason I am asking this is because used my new "semi-automated" rims (I manually switched the heater element) system this weekend and my efficiency came in really really low - around 55% based on my Beersmith calculations. With my usual cooler and infusion technique I regularly come in at 75% or so. I don't understand this because my temperature only once exceeded 155 degrees F or below 148 degrees F.

1) I assume that you generally leave the pump running all the time. I am using a false bottom and it seems to have worked very well. Do you in fact leave the pump running all the time?

2) In order to complete a mash-out I batch drained my mashtun and added 170 degree water, which I then recirculated while starting to boil the wort.

Am I way off here?

I also have a RIMS System and after working the bugs out it does work great. After I take my first runnings pending on the batch size 5 or 10 gallon you can add your mashout water or second runnings water to make up your preboil volume. Now this is my methods and by all means you can do what fits your system but this works for me . I also have a pump and I will either pump it into the wort kettle or I will manually add it in at 1 gal incriments, I have no sight glass to measure yet! As you start the heat for your boil you can let your mash out water recirc at 170 for 15min about then your wort is almost ready and you can mashout the remaining wort in to the kettle for boil off.

My RIMS uses a combination of direct heat for drastic temp changes (<5*F) and the heating element for temp maintenance.

By this I heat with flame to 5*F above rest temp running the pump at all times. Once I have reached this level I turn off the burner and let the mash blend and stabilize with the element to the rest temp.

Works like a charm. Ummm, except on the last batch where I totally screwed up the sparge.

I have settled on setting the temperature on my PID as calculated by beersmith (like 161 degrees) then lowering it to my expected mash temperature after dough-in since the temperature should adjust down when I add the grains.

Then I will raise the temp up to 170 just using the rims and batch-sparge using water preheated to 170.

Latest posts

Back