72 hr dormancy until ferment, then vigorous fermentation, now...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovetheHops

Reaction score
after 9 days of the following:
-3 days dormant until fermentation,
-3 days vigorous fermentation requiring a blow-off tube,
-3 days "normal" fermentation

I measured the gravity today and it was only 1.041 (on day 9), og was 1.065.

Given the vigorous fermentaion and the time, I was expecting closer to 1.01-1.02.

The beer has a slight burned rubber taste. Which is concerning. There is significant krausen, but the top layer of the wort looks realively normal. White bubbles with some krausen chunks.

Recipe was simple.
9lb LME
0.75lb Crystal 120L
75 minutes boil.
Hopped at boil.
American Ale Yeast.

Yeast was washed from a previous batch. Used distilled water and jars soaked in liquid, food grade santizer. Pitched 16oz of washed yeast.

Fermentiation was in a controled temperature room that ranges fro 68-75 degrees.

Anyone have any opinions on my high gravity reading and twangy burned rubber taste?

The twang would come from the extract. Burned rubber????? No clue. Next time, I would try and Steep some fresh grains. That might help alleviate some of the twang.

Let it ride. It's still young. Burnt rubber though. Never heard that one.

1041 is not an acceptable FG. Don't just bottle and let it ride. I know ^ didn't say to bottle but I assumed he meant this and let it ride. Wanted to make sure the OP did not also.
Give the bucket a swirl to rouse the yeast back up and check it in a few days. If still 1041, pitch a pack of neutral dry yeast (nottingham or saf-04)

If you still have krausen it is still fermenting so I'm not surprised by your high gravity. Give it time. I don't usually check the gravity until the krausen has actually fallen.

As for the off flavors, it's difficult to say given that your beer is still actively fermenting. If I had to guess I would say you might have some scorched extract creating the burned flavor and some extract twang as well. How old was the extract you used? What condition was the can in?

+1 on the scorched extract. This will abate somewhat but if you burned much it can really harm your beer. Were there scorch marks in the kettle after brewing?

But really it is useless to taste beer this early on in the fermentation. All it will do is cause concern. There is nothing to do about any off flavor at this point anyway except wait and see if the flavor conditions out.

Put it out of sight and out of mind for 2 more weeks, take another gravity reading if the krausen has fallen and maybe bottle then.

In the meantime Relax, Don't Worry, Brew Another Batch Of HomeBrew.

thanks for the feedback. I don't think it is the extract as it was freshly poored that day. I don't think I burned the extract, as I took the pot of the heat during the extract addition. It is still fermenting so perhaps it will clear up as the yeast still have some work too do. I suppose you could also describe the off-flavor as somewhat medicine / astringent like. I personally think there is a chance it is infected due to my friend's similar experience.

I agree the best advice is to leave it be until fermentation is complete. I think I'll brew up an amber this weekend to help take my mind off it.

1041 is not an acceptable FG. Don't just bottle and let it ride. I know ^ didn't say to bottle but I assumed he meant this and let it ride. Wanted to make sure the OP did not also.
Give the bucket a swirl to rouse the yeast back up and check it in a few days. If still 1041, pitch a pack of neutral dry yeast (nottingham or saf-04)

Actually, I meant leave it alone.

Back